Respected Contributor

Great little microwave popcorn popper

[ Edited ]

Ordered from Amazon. I wanted something that would make a small amount of popcorn.   I didn't get that it was silicone and was surprised when it arrived flat,  I thought - no way is this going to work.

Well, I was wrong.  This little popper just did 2 tablespoons in my microwave and there was not a single unpopped kernel. I never had this happen with my other popper.

The one I bought is the YOM Microwavable Popcorn Bowl.  It looks like a red flower pot.

ETA: I did not use any oil.

Honored Contributor

Re: Great little microwave popcorn popper

Thanks for posting this,i sometimes just want a small amount of popcorn.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I hate microwave popcorn.  I swear I can taste the microwave.  Smells good, but not taste good.

This is what I use....

Screen Shot 2016-05-06 at Fri, May 6, 2016-4.12.50 PM.pngfrom Kohls.  My last one lasted 20 yrs.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@ Montana

I just received that little red silicone popcorn popper a few days ago, and just bought some popcorn to try in it while at the store this afternoon.  I'm sure my husband will have a ball trying it.......he's the popcorn fan in the family.

Long ago, I had to break him of his habit of burning popcorn in my good stainless steel pots and his other bad habit of loading a pan up with way too much popcorn in the first place.  This little gadget should be interesting to try out.  I don't invest in too many kitchen fads or gadgets, but this one looks VERY promising.

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac

We've had one of those air poppers for years and I finally gave it to charity last year.  My husband, the popcorn maker, would melt way too much butter to put on the corn once it was popped.  With my new gadget, he can add a little bit of oil or butter that should season the corn while it's popping.  We shall see how he works with it.

Frequent Contributor

What a great idea. I had no idea they made these. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The red silicone popper that I got came from Evine and might be different than the OP's.  Apparently there are at least a few different models on the market. 

I just tried popping a small amount of corn in an 800-watt microwave oven (not nearly as powerful as many other people's ovens) and found that some kernels burned when popped for three minutes (the maximum suggested time) and came out pretty well after 2-1/2 minutes.

Further experiments needed to get optimum results and  determine whether it's better to spray a little olive oil on the kernels first or wait to salt and butter the corn after it's popped.

It's kind of fun to play with for now, but the best thing is, it doesn't take up much kitchen space.

Contributor

I have this one and love it!!

http://www.amazon.com/Lekue-Microwave-Popcorn-Popper-Maker/dp/B00NF9CT0C?ie=UTF8&keywords=silicon%20...

I put in popcorn, one tiny drop of oil, popcorn salt, stir it good, and pop.  Good for you and soooo good!  (Assuming you don't need low sodium)

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the memories!  Years ago, I would pop corn all night and the next evening make homemade Cracker Jacks!  Although I don't like a "burned sugar" flavor so I never really ate Cracker Jacks, I do like caramel or butterscotsh which doesn't cook quite as long.  These were SO good warm!

Honored Contributor

Montana, i got the one you spoke about,it is great!!!

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.