Respected Contributor

Great Semi-Homemade Dressing Ideas

I made the best salad dressing. I took a packet of Good Seasons Italian and added half of it, dry, to mayonnaise, added a dash of apple-cider vinegar, and some dijon mustard, and a little cream (you could use milk). Boy was it fantastic! I'm sorry I don't have measurements, I just eyeballed everything.

I also put this combo into potato salad. Wow was it good!

So then I got to thinking, I'm going to make this low calorie. So, I took fat free half-and-half and added the Italian dressing mix along with a little reduced-fat mayo, dijon and a dash of apple cider vinegar. Still really good.

Also, do the same thing with Kraft Ranch Dip mix. Don't use a substitute because the Kraft Ranch Dip dry mix has the very best flavor. Also, for this one don't add the dijon or apple cider vinegar. Add the dry mix to low-fat mayo and fat-free half-and-half. If you're looking for a good low-fat ranch this is it!  

I realize the dry mixes have been around for years but it's fun to think of ways to make it your own.

Respected Contributor

Re: Great Semi-Homemade Dressing Ideas

I love a good salad dressing. Thanks for the ideas. I’m going to try it. 

Respected Contributor

Your're very welcome! It's fun to experiment in the kitchen.

@itsmagic wrote:

I love a good salad dressing. Thanks for the ideas. I’m going to try it. 

Honored Contributor

I make a similar recipe for a creamy Italian dressing:

3 tbsp red wine vinegar

3 tbsp grated Parmesan

1 tsp minced garlic

2 tsp dried oregano

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1/4 cup sour cream

1/2 cup olive oil

Whisk vinegar, Parmesan, garlic, and oregano in dish.  Microwave for 30 seconds to melt cheese.

Mix mayonnaise, sour cream, and mixture in dish in blender until smooth.  Slowly add oil until mixed in.  

Respected Contributor

@Ladybug724 I love Good Seasons Zesty Italian! I make a wonderful Caesar Salad dressing using GS Zesty Italian (make in the bottle), a raw egg, can of anchovies with or without capers in a blender or a Cuisinart.  For Blue cheese dressing add the GS Zesty Italian (make in the bottle) to the blender or Cuisinart, small container of sour cream, blend then add large wedge of blue cheese and pulse till you get the size of the cheese pieces you want...........sometimes I'll blend till the cheese is incorporated totally..........make a wonderful dip as well!

Valued Contributor

Thank you for sharing!;; it sounds delicious and I'm excited to try it! I've been making our dressings homemade for a few years (not only is it healthier, but they are so much more flavorful). I was running low on new ideas and was ready for a new one to try, perfect timing! 

Regular Contributor

Try low-fat buttermilk as a substitute for the liquid in salad dressing when you are using dry packets or ranch dip - it works great and adds creaminess and tang without a lot of calories.  I make ranch dressing using the Hidden Valley ranch dressing seasoning that I buy in bulk at the big box store, along with buttermilk and a small amount of light mayo.  I mix it all in the blender and put it in a large Mason jar.  It lasts for weeks and is really good.

Respected Contributor

My new fave salad dressing. Also comes without the the Chili if you don't like hot.

Amazon.com : Kikkoman Chili Ponzu, 10 Ounce : Grocery & Gourmet Food

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Ladybug724 

I get the 8 oz bottles of Hidden Valley Ranch mix at Sams and make it with Dukes low cal mayo and skim milk. 

You'd never know!!!Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Somertime wrote:

@Ladybug724 I love Good Seasons Zesty Italian! I make a wonderful Caesar Salad dressing using GS Zesty Italian (make in the bottle), a raw egg, can of anchovies with or without capers in a blender or a Cuisinart.  For Blue cheese dressing add the GS Zesty Italian (make in the bottle) to the blender or Cuisinart, small container of sour cream, blend then add large wedge of blue cheese and pulse till you get the size of the cheese pieces you want...........sometimes I'll blend till the cheese is incorporated totally..........make a wonderful dip as well!

I'm am totally doing this! I like the Zesty Italian also! Thank you for the ideaSmiley Happy