Respected Contributor

Re: Great Recipe for Puerto Rican Roast Pork making it later today

[ Edited ]

Oh now I feel so much better after reading your second reply Jolexi, and many thanks for telling me.

So glad you can still appreciate the rub with other foodsSmiley Happy.

Respected Contributor

@adoreqvc wrote:

ACHIOTE OIL:

• 1 cup olive oil
  • 3 (8-ounce) bottles clam juice or 24 ounces broth (your choice).
  • 3 tablespoons Achiote Oil, recipe follows
  • 4 cloves garlic, sliced thin
  • 1/3 cup finely diced Serrano or prosciutto ham
  • 1 pound orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • Chopped parsley leaves, for garnish
  •  This part is the recipe for making the Achiote Oil:

Heat the oil and annatto seeds (omitted in the ingredient list) in a small skillet over medium heat just until the seeds give off a lively, steady sizzle. Don't overheat the mixture or the seeds will turn black and the oil will turn a nasty green. Once they're sizzling, remove the pan from the heat and let stand until the sizzling stops. Strain and reserve in a jar with a tight-fitting lid at room temperature for up to 4 days.

AdoreQVC, thanks for sharing this recipe.  It looks really good. There is, though, a formatting clinch in the copying of the ingredients.  I checked the link you provided (thanks again), and the  ingredients for making the ACHIOTE OIL are:

• 1 cup olive oil 
  • 2 Tablespoons achiote (annatto) seeds

According to Food.com, "Steeping annatto (achiote) seeds in hot oil for a few minutes will do more than give the oil a brilliant orange-gold color; it will infuse it with a nutty, delicate aroma and add a quick kick to whatever you use it in." 

After infusing the oil with the seeds, you can then move on to making the orzo.   I hope I haven't confused everybody. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks IamMrsG, and I realize there are so many recipes for making that Puerto Rican/Latin annato oil, also called achiote oil too.....and they basically have the same recipes, but the amount of ingredients may vary.

Respected Contributor

Make it anyway mtc and then you can just slice and freeze leftovers, and enjoy it again.

That is what we do mtc, and we are only 2 people.

If I buy an 8-9 lb piece I will make the whole thing and then slice the leftovers, and freeze them.

It really tastes even better when it is reheated.

It will come out great, and if you make the smaller piece now not to worry, that too will be delicious, just watch it so it does not dry out by over cooking,.

You should always use an in the meat oven thermometer, or a instant read thermometer to ensure your pork roast is cooked to 190 degrees, so it is thoroughly cooked and will then be very tender and succulent.

Remember pork is deadly, if not cooked thoroughly.

Honored Contributor

Good morning adore!  The best gadget I ever invested in was one of those thermometers with the probe so I can watch the temperature (or it can let me know in case I walked out of the room).

Any type of meat has GREATLY improved since I invested in that baby!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

adoreqvc,

Thank you for this recipe!  Have not made anything Puerto Rican to date so look forward to this for sure.

Respected Contributor

adoreqvc wrote: "....You should always use an in the meat oven thermometer, or a instant read thermometer to ensure your pork roast is cooked to 190 degrees, so it is thoroughly cooked and will then be very tender and succulent.   Remember pork is deadly, if not cooked thoroughly."

Please believe I am not trying to be argumentative with this thread, Adore. Your caution about undercooking pork has changed, though.  The new standard for safe cooking of pork is 145º, which will result in a moist result. Trichinosis, from eating undercooked pork and game, can be dangerous; however, the care and feeding of pigs in the industry has improved so that trichinosis is not the problem it used to be.    

Here is a chart  for safe cooking temperatures for all kinds of dishes.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

Your'e most welcome sfnative, and I know you will truly enjoy these recipesSmiley Happy.

Honored Contributor

Ok adore, the marinade is on my little pork roast and I am planning on cooking it on Thursday/Friday . . . I was going to wait until the weekend but I bought a bunch of spices at a new place by me today so to resist further temptation I decided to start the marinade tonight so I wouldn't get distracted as I have a tendency to do . . . Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

7/15/2015

So how was it mtc?

Did you make the Puerto Rican Roast pork I posted, and if you did was it to your liking?