Respected Contributor

Got any healthy muffin recipes??

Hubby's got high sugar...and a BIG sweet tooth.  I'd like to bake up some healthy, low sugar muffins...preferably with some fruit.  I'm hoping to keep the fat content down too...is this all possible??    Please share.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Got any healthy muffin recipes??

This is a tough one. You can make a low-sugar muffin, but they will still be high carb, which is no healthier. There is a lot of more recent research showing that fat is not unhealthy, nor does it cause diabetes or heart disease. The original low-fat diet research was completely flawed. Carbs are the problem. As someone who had a huge sweet tooth most of my life, I can tell you I broke the habit, feel much better, lost weight and do not crave sugar anymore. I still LOVE desserts and bread, and will splurge on vacation or holidays, but not the rest of the year.

Check out this website for information and recipes:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/

Respected Contributor

@Dazlin  -  I don't know the calorie content, but they're good.  Hope you try them and enjoy them!

Raisin Bran Muffins

1 cup honey

2 2/3 c. milk (that's 2 and 2/3 cups)

1 1/2 Tbsp. white vinegar

2 1/2 c. bran

2 c. whole wheat flour

1 1/4 c white flour

1 tsp. baking soda

1 c. raisins

Heat oven to 400.  Spray muffin tins with Pam.  Mix wet ingredients together and set aside.  Mix dry ingredients together in a separate bowl.  Mix dry ingredients with the wet ingredients.  Stir in raisins.  Pour batter into tins and bake 15-20 minutes (depending on your oven) until done.  Yields 2 dozen. 

Respected Contributor

@Dorothy11 wrote:

This is a tough one. You can make a low-sugar muffin, but they will still be high carb, which is no healthier. There is a lot of more recent research showing that fat is not unhealthy, nor does it cause diabetes or heart disease. The original low-fat diet research was completely flawed. Carbs are the problem. As someone who had a huge sweet tooth most of my life, I can tell you I broke the habit, feel much better, lost weight and do not crave sugar anymore. I still LOVE desserts and bread, and will splurge on vacation or holidays, but not the rest of the year.

Check out this website for information and recipes:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/

I agree, this is a bit tough.  I figure if I bake up something, I can control ingredients somewhat, and add some healthy grains, and fruits, maybe oats?   Seems whenever I bring home something, hubby doesnt control himself, and hell finish off the entire cake, or cookies.  I limit to buying just one thing occasionally, but it's too tempting for him.   Besides...I like something too!!  But, gosh...one cookie satisfies me.

Valued Contributor

Oatmeal Raisan Muffins (Healthy Eating Cookbook)

1 cup old fashioned oats

1 cup low-fat buttermilk

1 cup all purpose flour

1 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. cinnamon (I use 3/4 tsp.)

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp. ground cloves

1/4 tsp. salt

1/2 cup raisans (I use 3/4 cup golden raisans)

2 eggs

1/2 cup packed light brown sugar

1/3 cup canola oil (I use coconut oil)

In a bowl combine the oats and buttermilk.  Set aside for 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400

Use muffin liners or grease muffin tins.

In bowl combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, cloves and salt.  Add the raisans and stir to coat with the flour.

In bowl, beat eggs.  Add brown sugar and oil and stir to combine.  Add oat mixture, stirring well to combine.  Add to the flour mixture and gently stir until just combined.  Spoon in muffin cups.

Bake 13 to 18 minutes or until tops just bounce back when touched.  Leave in tin for 5 to 10 minutes before removing the muffins to a cooling rack

Calories 190

Fat 8 grams

Sugars 14 grams

Protein 4 grams

Valued Contributor

Forgot to say, this recipe makes 12 muffins.  Sorry

Trusted Contributor

Yes, home made is better, but even whole grains are high in carbs. I don't keep bread or desserts in the house, because I have zero willpower. I might suggest that you have your desserts away from home. Another thing to try is coconut flour muffins. People who are gluten-free use this, but it is also low carb, and if you keep sweenenter to a minimum, you can reduce total carbs. Don't worry about the fat content. There are many recipes on the web if you search coconut flour muffins.

Another dessert - Whole milk yogurt with fresh berries, no added sweetener.

http://blog.radiantlifecatalog.com/bid/59412/Scrumptious-No-Sugar-Blueberry-Muffins-using-Organic-Co...

Trusted Contributor

Respected Contributor

Poodlepet2, Diabetic here-you are barking right up my alley!  Stay away from sugar-free cake mixes and frosting: I know from testing and talking to other diabetics, some of these artificial sugars actually cause a higher glucose than the real thing!

Your DH does not have to do this-it's a choice-but I kicked flour of just about every kind- out of my diet.  Its already broken down for your body ready to trigger an insulin release-and maybe too much at that- but there is insulin resistance going on and that sugar is not making it into the bodies cells. The result? High blood sugar, hunger, maybe sweating-as if you haven't eaten.  Cure? Drink lots of water and take a walk....OR , you can prevent-and make delicious food with benefits.

I glean recipes from all over, but when it comes to baking, my Paleo friends have it made!  There are so many web-sites that cater to low-carb eating. I am not on a ketogenic diet, I get my carbs from legumes, root vegetables, limited amounts of fruit-but the star of my show is green leafy cruciferous vegetables.....all things to think about on your next trip to the grocery!

But let's take it away with my "go to" mug cake.

BASIC MUG CAKE

1 egg or egg substitute equivalent

2 TBL Flax meal ( I prefer golden flax, organic, has a great flavor)

2 TBL almond meal

1 teaspoon oil (I use cold expelled pressed) avocado or coconut oil, grass fed organic Kerrygold butter is divine)

1/8 teaspoon baking powder ( I have measuring spoons from King Arthur with 1/8, but it's not supercritical to this recipe)

1/4 cup almond milk ( if he needs to lose weight, chances are his Diabetes Educator will encourage the 30 calorie per cup variety, which to me tastes infinitely better than skim cows milk, but if that's what you have use it)

Mix everything together in a microwave cup (I love Sistema) and zap 1 min and 10 seconds use toothpick to test doneness: if it isn't done, cook in 10 second increments.

You could add onion, garlic powder or any other spices: let it cool, split it, and you have a vehicle for your favorite sandwich fillings.  This has no carbs, so guess what? In addition to this delight, he can add 15-30 grams of a carb depending on whether or not it's a meal or snack.  Chances are, his carb allowance is higher because he's a man.

SWEET MUG CAKE

To the basic recipe given above, I add blueberries ( depending on my carb needs at that time)....Apple's, pears, 1/2 cup solid pack pumpkin...I have used all kinds of berries ( I keep a bag of Dole frozen mixed berries-a great ingredient that can be used for so many things).... cinnamon and ginger are delightful additions, and of course, a little real vanilla extract-or any extract you can think of)

Yes, you can use sweeteners of your own choosing-always start with a teaspoon and mix well-and see how it tastes. You can always add more and some are far more concentrated-such as Plenavita. Plenavita and Lakanto monk fruit/ erythrotol blends are high grade blends that I love. I have tested them repeatedly, and they cause no spikes in my blood glucose. That's true for me, but that may not be true for your DH.

Some might say I have taken my Diabetic Life to an extreme-and maybe I have- but it's a serious disease: in spite of what you may have heard, there is no such animal as "mild diabetes": that can change in a heartbeat......but food is such an integral part of management, but there is no reason not to enjoy it: there are tons of alternatives for favorites.....

PANCAKES:easy easy-add a little more milk to make the batter a little thinner-and make pancakes.

Hope this helps,

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is my go-to bran muffin recipe from Martha Stewart.

They are high in fiber and sweetened with prune juice and molasses.

Depending on your dietary requirements, they may or may not be suitable, but they are excellent.

Here's the recipe

martha-bakes-giant-bran-and-raisin-muffin-062-d110936-0614_vert.jpg

~ house cat ~