Trusted Contributor

Re: Good grocery store sauces for seafood

Over the holidays I had to look up a recipe and make my own cocktail sauce.  The stores were out.  I check every time I go and still out.  It's nice to have in the pantry!

Honored Contributor

Back  in day when I actually cooked I made my own tartar sauce.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Trusted Contributor

@deepwaterdotter - Are you talking about the Bookbinders Restaurant in Philly?  Grew up in So.Jersey and ate there many times.  It was delicious no matter what we ordered.  Living in So. Cal. now and miss the great fish from the East Coast.

Honored Contributor

@WORKING GAL I'm not familiar with the restaurant, just the jar of cocktail sauce on the grocery store shelf.  If the rest of their food is as tasty as this sauce, then I bet it's a great place to dine.   

Honored Contributor

I just mix horseradish, catsup, and lemon.  Done!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I just mix horseradish, catsup, and lemon.  Done!

@ECBG Me too or maybe hot sauce because I don't keep horseradish.  Like cocktail sauce, my fridge has no room for it to live.Woman Embarassed

I have never liked tartar sauce.  I always ask for red or cocktail sauce to go with anything that most people eat tartar sauce with.  And steak?  NO sauce.  Just salt. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

With myself, nothing exta with a filet, although, I like Heinz catsup with a ribeye.  Go figure.  I have always liked beef with Heinz catsup!  I don't like steak sauces!