Honored Contributor

Re: Good cheese ball recipe?

this is my moms recipe.....tried and true from the 1970s when cheese balls were very popular.....i know that they are "in" again......

1- 8 ounce package of cream cheese

1/2 teaspoon garlic salt ( i usually use powder)

4 tablespoons butter

1- 8 ounce of soft cheddar cheese

1- 3 or 4 ounces of blue cheese or gorgonzola

1 tablespoon of prepared mustard (dijon is good or just plain yellow works)

1 tablespoon horseradish

1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce

1 teaspoon onion salt ( i use onion powder)

mix everything and shape into a ball. roll in chopped nuts (sliced almonds, walnuts, or pecans all work well......i usually use sliced almonds or walnuts).

trust me, there is rarely any of it left!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Regular Contributor

On 12/28/2014 Chi-town girl said: Everything Bagel Cheeseball. Ingredients: one 8-ounce brick cream cheese, softened, 1/2 cup sour cream, 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish, 1 cup sharp New York cheddar, shredded, 2 scallions, chopped, 6 slices bacon, cooked and chopped, 1/4 cup dehydrated onion, 1/4 cup poppy seeds, 1/4 cup sesame seeds, 1/4 cup garlic flakes, Coarse sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper, Bagel chips, for serving. Preparation: In a bowl, mix together cream cheese, sour cream, horseradish, cheddar, scallions and bacon. Form the cheese mixture into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap to chill for at least 1 hour. In a small bowl, mix together the onion, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, garlic flakes, salt and pepper. Once cheeseball is set, roll the cheese ball in the everything bagel seasoning mix and plate with some bagel chips alongside. Also great on toasted bagels for breakfast!
Mmmmm......I think I'll be trying this one!!
Trusted Contributor

Cranberry Orange Cheeseball

2- 8oz pkg cream cheese

1- box dry Orange jell-o

1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries

Soften cream cheese and mix in jell-o and cranberries, place on plastic wrap atnd form into a ball. Chill in fridge and place on a serving plate surrounded by Ritz crackers, graham cracker fingers or ginger snaps. Enjoy!

(I have used sugar-free jello to make this cheese ball & it was also delicious. I have also crushed nuts & rolled the formed cheese ball in the nuts.)

Boop
Valued Contributor

This one is not savory, but a sweet one:

Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball

1 (8 oz) package softened cream cheese

1/2 cup softened butter

3/4 cup confectioners sugar

2 Tbsps brown sugar

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

3/4 cup miniature semisweet choc chips

3/4 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts

Beat cream cheese and butter till smooth. Mix in confectioners sugar, Brown sugar and vanilla. Stir in choc chips. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours. Shape chilled mixture into a ball. Wrap with plastic wrap and chill for an hour. Roll in the finely chopped nuts just before serving. Serve with honey graham crackers or butter cookies. Also good on those slightly sweet tea biscuits.

Honored Contributor

On 12/28/2014 imashopper said:
On 12/28/2014 Chi-town girl said: Everything Bagel Cheeseball. Ingredients: one 8-ounce brick cream cheese, softened, 1/2 cup sour cream, 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish, 1 cup sharp New York cheddar, shredded, 2 scallions, chopped, 6 slices bacon, cooked and chopped, 1/4 cup dehydrated onion, 1/4 cup poppy seeds, 1/4 cup sesame seeds, 1/4 cup garlic flakes, Coarse sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper, Bagel chips, for serving. Preparation: In a bowl, mix together cream cheese, sour cream, horseradish, cheddar, scallions and bacon. Form the cheese mixture into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap to chill for at least 1 hour. In a small bowl, mix together the onion, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, garlic flakes, salt and pepper. Once cheeseball is set, roll the cheese ball in the everything bagel seasoning mix and plate with some bagel chips alongside. Also great on toasted bagels for breakfast!
Mmmmm......I think I'll be trying this one!!

Ditto!

Trusted Contributor

Here is one that I always make, and is frequently requested........You can always leave out the chicken.......Cool This is from previous post for the recipe....

CHICKEN BALL

This is one of my most requested items to bring to a nibble along.............. Let 8 oz of cream cheese come to room temp, and then how I do it is with the dough hooks on my Kitchen Aid hand mixer, and put in the cream cheese, 1 package of Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing, and 1 large can of drained chicken (13 oz) in a bowl, and mix with the dough hooks until well blended, and then I take a spatula, and scrape it into a ball, and put on the lid of a loc n loc bowl, and then I stick whole almonds on it all around in rows, so that it looks like a pine cone, then just place the bowl on it to cover and then lock it...Less than 10 minuts from start to finish, OR, you can roll it in a finely shredded cheese blend, or even chopped pecans........

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Super Contributor

I made this spinach artichoke cheeseball a couple times for different holiday parties and it was always a huge hit. I served with pretzel spoons (found them at Kroger) but would be delicious with carrot sticks, celery, anything really. Spinach Artichoke Cheeseball 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese 1 (10 ounce) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided 1 (4 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped 2 teaspoons minced garlic 1 tablespoon dry ranch salad dressing mix I just throw all the stuff in my Kitchen Aid mixer and then roll it in parmesean cheese. Yummy!
Honored Contributor

This one is so easy. You've seen those Kraft cheeses in the glass jars (next to the Velveeta at Kroger).

1 jar Roka Blue cheese spread

1 jar Old English Cheddar cheese spread

1 small Philly cream cheese

Mix and let set overnight covered in fridge. Before serving roll in pecans.

Can be easily doubled.

I didn't say it was healthy. And Roka Blue is only available during holidays. (don't ask, I don't know why).

Valued Contributor

On 12/28/2014 Beauty$Junkie said: I always make a cheese ball with 2 8-oz cream cheese, 1 1/2 cup drained crushed pineapple, 3 tsp finely chopped onion, 1 tsp salt. I serve with Ritz Crackers. The recipe calls for finely chopped pecans but have not done that since some do not like nuts. I just mix it and put it in a bowl. Addicting!

If you like walnuts, this recipe is good wit those, as well. It is very addictive. I always used reduced fat cream cheese, as well. You can't taste the difference, and every little bit helps.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Contributor

Paula Dean has a really good one that has bacon in it and on the outside of it. People that have tried it, love it.