Occasional Contributor

Re: Good Recipe to Share with Friends on the Mend???

Thank you so much, everyone, for all of the feedback. I really appreciate it. I have a problem of overthinking which does nothing, but stop me in my tracks. I'm glad that this post is helping others, as well. I always know where to go to get great feedback. You are gems!

-Laura

Super Contributor

AnnaGabbyMama wrote:

Thank you so much, everyone, for all of the feedback. I really appreciate it. I have a problem of overthinking which does nothing, but stop me in my tracks. I'm glad that this post is helping others, as well. I always know where to go to get great feedback. You are gems!

-Laura

@AnnaGabbyMama  You're welcome!!  I have found that the folks on here are very nice and helpful.  I'm happy that you've benefitted from this thread!  Don't worry about, "overthinking."  Who says you're overthinking things???  :-)  You're just trying to be thoughtful and kind.  For that, you are to be commended.   Cut yourself some slack.  It's all good.  :-) Kudos and blessings to you! 

Respected Contributor

@Ruthie-Roo wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

I was making meals once a week for a friend who had brain surgery.  Things like a large meatloaf (meal and sandwiches), pasta salad, baked chicken thighs, etc.  Meals that create a second meal or more.  I also did homemade soups but this is not exactly the right time of year for that.  

@DiAnne  I love the ideas you posted!  Meals and foods that go further are a fabulous idea.  As for homemade soups, I think that they're great any time of year, regardless of the weather.  We live in MN.  Even in the Spring and Summer, we (my family, et. al.) eat soups (i even drink hot chocolate in hot weather.  People drink coffee all year-round, right?).  I think that homemade is homemade, and has the tendency to warm the heart and soul, as well as feed the body.  :-)  To the original poster -- I wish your friends all the best!!!!    

My idea for a food/meal for someone recovering from illness or surgery: homemade bread, whichever kind you wish to make.  I frequently make white bread either in my machine or by hand, and it's good stuff.  I control what goes in there.  No funky chemicals or what-have-you.  My family loves it.  Maybe people (and their families) recovering from whatever, may enjoy some good, ol' homemade bread (sliced up, too).  Maybe add a nice jar of a good jam.  For great bread machine recipes, check out Beth Hensperger's book, The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook.  Her basic white bread recipe is my #1 go-to, with a few tweaks from me.  AllRecipeDOTcom's recipe for Amish White Bread is fabulous.  

@Ruthie-Roo, what a wonderful post! It made me smile, & ITA about good ol' homemade bread! Heart

@AnnaGabbyMama, may I ask the age of the woman w/ congestive heart failure? Is she elderly?

I only ask, because my 94 year old mother died of CHF last year.

She'd basically lost her appetite, but would've loved a warm slice of homemade bread 'n jam w/ a cup of tea.

For the elderly, something sweet can tempt them to eat.

My mom loved custard, tapioca, etc.

As for the woman recovering from a C-section, you can't go wrong w/ a juicy roast chicken, mashed potatoes & a salad! You could even buy a rotisserie chicken from Sam's Club or Costco (delish!), & make all the trimmings.

And a chocolate cake. Smiley Happy

@AnnaGabbyMama, I think you're great for being such a thoughtful friend.

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@butterfly123 wrote:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/recipes/heart-healthy-recipes/rcs-20077163

@butterfly123

I know this was not addressed to me but I want to chime in and say thank you for posting this!  I just book-marked it.  It looks to be a very nice site for some things which will work for my mother, also!!  

@AngelPuppy1

You're welcome😊 I'm happy you found this link helpful. You and your dear mother are in my thoughts and prayers.

Blessings sweet friend🌹

@butterfly123

You are a dear!!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I just want to say that I think you are wonderful for doing this.  And whatever you decide to take to them, I know they will appreciate it.

Having spent almost a week in ICU/hospital last summer, I know how great a home cooked meal was after I got home.   While I appreciated all of the cards, flowers, phone calls etc. the thing that was the best was a home cooked pot roast with potatoes and green beans that a friend brought over. DH was great with grocery shopping for things we could grab and eat out of the fridge but that prepared meal was great.   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AnnaGabbyMama, I may be completely off base, but I get a mental image of the lady with CHF being elderly and alone.  If so, rather than delivering a big dish of something to her, how about making a simple omelette, or just a plate of scrambled eggs, in her kitchen then sitting down with her as she enjoys it?   Your company could be as nourishing as the meal.

Edited to fix a typo.  Sorry.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As a "p.s" to my earlier message.....I agree with IamMrsG about the lady you mentioned.....if she is alone IamMrsG had a wonderful suggestion.  If you have the time, maybe you could share a meal with her.  By the way, I thought after my post, my mother lived until 100 and had CHF as well.  Things she loved were chicken salad, chicken casseroles, quiche, grilled cheese sandwiches.....and a good hamburger!   

Honored Contributor

When a friend of mine had shoulder surgery, I made hearty soups for her in individual serving frozen FoodSaver packets so she could either microwave, boil in the bag or warm up on the stove.

None were low sodium or heart healthy so they would not work for this person.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

One idea that just ran through my mind, some people have false teeth and some foods are harder for them to chew.  Please keep that in mind. I only mention it, since I can't recall others addressing this before.  So as you choose a recipe, you may need to see about that area for them to eat what is prepared for them. Thanks.

Regular Contributor

Pot roasts are a winner in my book, though I put carrots instead of green beans in mine. Leftovers can easily be turned into beef stew.

~Quack