Honored Contributor

Going to make potato salad this week

I do it over 2 days now.  Do the potatoes and eggs one day and the next day, cut up and combine the rest the next morning.  Then it's set for when we're ready to eat. I'm only doing it one time this summer. (Where has the summer gone?).  My husband and son love it, so we'll cook out later in the week, and have it then.  

Anyone else?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Going to make potato salad this week

I make mine over 2 days as well and fold everything together early in the morning so it sits and chills.  The flavor is better if I let it sit for the day in the fridge.  One thing I'd recommen;  cut up the potatoes and cook them diced.  They cook quicker and i find it easier.  Enjoy your cookout!  Love potato salad!  It just screams summertime! 

Honored Contributor

Haven't made any potato salad this year.  I have one recipe with a cooked dressing and one with a cold dressing.  They are both good.

Valued Contributor

i do not make that i make caulflower salad instead just use that instead of potaotes. taste great.

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal I love potato salad, I use my Moms recipe, but I changed it up a bit.  Instad of just mayyonaise, I use half mayonniase, half honey mustard dressing (Kens is our favorite), it kicked it up a noch, and put a tangy taste to it.

We do it in shifts also, make the potatos and eggs the night before, then cut up everything else the next day until we are ready to eat!  I hate cooking hard boiled eggs, so I did purchase the egg cooker from QVC, one of our favorite purchases, it cooks them perfectly!  

Honored Contributor

@CareBears, I have the cooking of hard boiled eggs down flat now.  One year there was such a discussion on how to cook hard boiled eggs, I thought it was great.  There's a lot of women who have trouble with that.  For awhile I was one.  Watched the gal who says EVOO all the time, although I don't normally watch her, oh RR.  It's great, it was a fluke that I caught the one show she did that in. 

Esteemed Contributor

Please post your recipes for your potato salad.

What else do you put in besides potatoes, hard boiled eggs, celery & onion?

@CareBears

Honey mustard would be a nice addition!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HarpaI eye ball almost everything but this is the general recipe:

3 Hard Boiled egg

5 Potatoes Cooked

Chopped Onion

Optional Ingriendents - Radishes, celery, green pepper

Dressing 1/2 Cup mayonnaise 1/2 cup Honey Mustard Dressing, squirt of mustard, salt & pepper (to taste) milk to thin.

I usualy double the ingredient but this does make a large batch, but when I have made this for a potluck I usually come home with an empty bowl, be prepared people will ask you for the recipe, I just bring printed copies with me.  

Honored Contributor

To a traditional potato salad recipe, I will add a squirt of prepared mustard, sweet pickle relish and sometimes a small amount of finely chopped red onion.

Not everyone loves the red onion like I do!

Respected Contributor

I like to put at least half of the mayo mixture on the diced potatoes when they are still just a little warm.  That enables the potatoes to absorb the dressing rather than coating them.  Refrigerate, then add the remaining dressing along with the other ingredients.

I've found the easiest way to cut up the potatoes.  Cut them in half to cook.  Then when they are cool enough to dice, put the sliced side down on a salad plate, use a sharp knife and slice diagonally, then slice horizontally, dump the potato in the bowl.  Goes real quick.  My family doesn't like onion in the salad, so I quarter an onion and boil it with the potatoes to get the flavor, then toss the onion (or eat it myself with something else).

There's a bizillion ways to make potato salad, but that works best for me.  And my family insists on having my barbeque beans along with the salad.  They like to mix them together.