Frequent Contributor

Re: Gluten Free - any suggestions for favorite recipes, blogs, etc?

I love Bob's Red Mill gluten free products.

https://www.bobsredmill.com/shop/gluten-free.html

Their gluten free oatmeal and pancake mix are the best. I use the pancake mix and make a delicious gingerbread pancake. They have a lot of gluten free recipes on their website.

Ronzoni makes a decent gluten free spagetti.

Respected Contributor

I get a lot of side eye from people who think that gluten free is just a fad.  This quote is from a blog I subscribe to and explains the basic reason gluten isn't good for anyone:

"Due to hybridization, we have created a gluten molecule that is more inflammatory than previous varieties.  

In addition, the amount of gluten in our wheat is nearly double what it was just 50 years ago.  Gluten is a very dense, sticky protein that is inherently hard to digest—and now our bodies must deal with a lot more of it, and a more inflammatory version of it."

No wonder my headaches went away when I cut out gluten!

Valued Contributor

I found a new (to me) flatbread cracker that I just love.  Wasa Gluten Free Sesame and Salt crispbread.  I find lunch is difficult for me and this crispbread holds cheese,  peanut butter, deli meats, etc.  I eat plenty of salads for dinner so not really interested in more salad or lettuce wraps for lunch.  I feel better with less gluten in my diet.  No muffins, cookies, cakes, pies, etc.  Great for losing weight also.  I do not use most gluten free products that are commercially made because of the increase in sugar.  I also eat Cheerios for breakfast since they are gluten free and low in sugar.  I work hard at a gluten free diet but don't beat myself up if I eat a cookie or piece of cake once in a while.  I just start back the next day on eliminating most gluten.  Good luck to us all.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have been gluten free for almost 35 years.  I went through the stages of looking for flour substitutes and buying  gluten free bread products, but I gave up on most of that.  Those products were highly processed and had more calories than the wheat flour offerings. They can make you gain weight fast if you eat them daily.

Now I just eat foods that naturally have no gluten in them. I eat veggies, fruits, nuts and meats and a little dairy. Once in a while, I will use corn starch for thickening up something like gravy.

a breakfast could be steel cut oatmeal with fruit or bacon and eggs or a veggie omelet.  Lunch might be a salad with veggies, cranberries, chicken.  Dinner may be  baked fish, or chicken, mashed potatoes  and a veggie.

If I get hungry for a sandwich, I wrap my sandwitch ingredients in lettuce leaves, including cheeseburgers.

If you want recipes for gluten free desserts, I have some for cookies and cheesecake that are really good.  They contain no flours at all..not even potato, rice or corn. Just let me know if you are interested.  I will try to post them for you.

Costco sells a frozen cauliflower pizza that is excellent.  It does not taste like cardboard like most of them do.  It's made by Milton Kraft Bakers.  It is excellent...honestly the best that I have found.  Even people who do not eat gluten free will eat this one.

Gluten free pretzels are very good.  I have taken them on our boat for myself and a bag of the regular ones for everyone else and my pretzels were consumed first. I am not stingy, but then I have nothing to snack on.  So now I leave the main bag at home and only fill a small baggie for myself. Gluten free crackers are good too. My family loves my Nut-Thins.

Things that have hidden gluten are deli meats, cheese, candy, things made with soy sauce, soups and broths.  Sometimes artificial colorings are made with gluten products.  It's a difficult diet to follow at first, but after a while it is a lifestyle.  I have celiac disease, so I have no choice.

Valued Contributor

@Carmie 

I enjoyed reading your post.   Very informative and helpful.

Thank you for insight and tips!

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

@Suzeecat   Truly - a world of difference between a gluten mind and body and one that's gluten free.

Good on you to be gluten free.

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie Thank you SO MUCH for taking time to respond.  I appreciate your info.  Could you share one of your cookie recipes?  

Honored Contributor

@Knit-Chick   Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I was away from the house today.  I'll try to get some posted for you tomorrow.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Knit-Chick   Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I was away from the house today.  I'll try to get some posted for you tomorrow.  Smiley Happy

@Carmie No problem, whenever you have time.  Thank you 😊 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Casserole Cookies

2 eggs

1 cup sugar

1 cup flaked cocoanut

1cup chopped dates

1 cup chopped nuts ( any kind)

1 tea. Vanilla

1 tea. Almond extract

Bear eggs. Add 1 cup of sugar and beat well.  Blend in remaining ingredients and spoon into an undresses 2 got casserole dish.  Bake 350 for 30 minutes.

Remove and while still hot, beat with mixer.  Cool and form into balls using about 1 Tab.. Mixture for each.  Roll in granulated sugar.