Trusted Contributor

Gluten Free - any suggestions for favorite recipes, blogs, etc?

I was told that a gluten free diet could help with my thyroid issues.  I've been doing  alot of browsing of blogs and websites, but wanted to see if anyone has favorite recipe sources to share.    Thanks Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: Gluten Free - any suggestions for favorite recipes, blogs, etc?

Hey Kathleen, I tried going gluten free for the same reason a few years ago.  I got a little overwhelmed with everything I found on line, but I will be watching to see if anyone else has helpful info.  Most of the gluten free blog recipes I found involved a lot of special ingredients that was hard for me to find.  Mostly I just tried to eat whole foods, where I knew the ingredients.  Vegetables, grains, beans, seeds, etc.  I didn't get any results with respect to my thyroid, but I did dramatically decrease headaches - an unexpected benefit!  Best of luck, I don't think limiting or eliminating gluten can hurt, unless you overdo it with the processed stuff, which usually adds other inflammatory ingredients. 

Trusted Contributor

@Suzeecat  thanks so much for your response!  You made my day - it's so overwhelming.  And I've been leaning toward your approach.  Take care,  wishing you good health Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

There are some places online that sell gluten free flour that is a 1:1 replacement.  One brand is gfJules.  It is pricey, but worth it if you are getting the results you are looking for.  This 1:1 replacement flour allows you to use your own recipes.

I, too, have had improvement with migraines.  It is not the reason I am on a gluten free diet, it is just a bonus benefit.

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Between my synthoid really kicking in and my going gluten free I dropped every bit of the big belly syndrome not to mention just plain old gaining weight. I dropped about 35 lbs in about 7 months or so. I went gluten free by accident - we had a gluten free guest staying w/us for 10 months. He has cyliac and must be GF. I never felt better. Now that he's gone however I'm not proud to say I'm back to breads, too many desserts/sweets.

I MUST get back to being GF again.

Trusted Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wow, that's great!  thank you for sharing your experience!  I've read so many benefits about a GF diet.  

Trusted Contributor

@butterfly123 thank you so much!

Trusted Contributor

@GraceLady thank you for the info on that flour replacement!  I appreciate your response Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

I like Vans gluten free waffles. For lunch I will eat Nabisco rice crackers or a good tortilla chip with a chicken or tuna salad.

I replaced zucchini noodles instead of pasta, even gluten free.

A good snack that I enjoy is Skinny popcorn cakes with peanut butter.

A lot of keto recipes are gluten free too.