Respected Contributor

My DD was recently tested for Celiac disease and although she does not have it, her doctor thinks she is intolerent to gluten and advised her to avoid it.  She will be 21 in October and i usually bake her a cake but I never baked anything gluten free.  

Does anyone have a good gluten free cake recipe?

Trusted Contributor

My grocery store carries this and it's really good and moist.  Makes one 13x9 or 2 8x8.  I just fixed this yesterday and you would have no idea it's gluten free.  

GF Spice Cake Mix

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Google    "Flourless Chocolate Cake"

Respected Contributor

King Arthur baking company have the best gluten free cakes, brownies, and cookie mixes.  I can get them at my local Target and Kroeger grocery stores.  My sweet granddaughter does have celiac disease and these are the very best.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Gluten Free Cake

[ Edited ]

If you want to make a cake from scratch, American Test Kitchen has two gluten free cookbooks with cake recipes.  I've had good luck using Bob Red Mill gluten free 1 to 1 Baking Flour with the ATK recipes.   You may have to go to a health food store or Whole Foods to find a decent selection of gluten free mixes and baking flours.

For box mixes, Krusteaz is another brand that makes good gluten free baked goods.  The Krusteaz gf honey corn bread mix is very good and their brownie mix is decent.

Personally, I haven't had much luck with the Namaste brand of mixes, their pizza crust mix is horrid.

Also, stay away from gluten free flour mixes made from bean flours because they have a bitter, beany flavor that is nasty.

Flourless chocolate cake is another option.  

Also, there are more and more gluten free cookies available in the cookie aisle that can be used as a crust, like gf sugar cookies as a pie crust or gf graham crackers for a cheesecake crust.

Once you decide on a recipe or cake mix,  I would do a test run to make sure it actually works.  Baking gluten free is always an adventure.  

Respected Contributor

@D Kay I do make a flourlesss choclate cake but I think my DD would like a traditional cake that I can frost. 

Valued Contributor

@ninjawife Try googling almond flour cakes.  They seem to have some good ones that you can frost.

Frequent Contributor

Pillsbury Gluten Free Fun-Fetti  cake mix is delicious! 

Homemade frosting is super easy, confectioners sugar, butter, vanilla extract

dash of water or milk, and beat with electric mixer.

Everyone loves them!

Frequent Contributor

Really great food company- chocolate cake is the best gluten free cake.

they have a web site. You won't be disappointed.

Honored Contributor

@ninjawife 

See previous thread.  I posted some recipes for GF that my guests loved....

Gluten free dessert recipe - Blogs & Forums (qvc.com)