Respected Contributor

Gelato Recipes for 1.5 pint Cooks Essentials Thermo Electric Ice Cream Maker

Sicilian Gelato uses cornstarch, instead of eggs to thicken the mixture. 

Chocolate Gelato

3 cup milk

3/4 cup sugar

3/4 cup cocoa

1 1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch

Mix the sugar, cocoa, and cornstarch in a saucepan. Add a little milk to make a paste.Slowly whisk in the rest of the milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring until it boils, boil 2 minutes. Put in a bowl, let cool and put in the refrigerator. Put a piece of plastic wrap down on top of mixture to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate overnight. Follow directions of your maker. Makes 1 quart.

I made this and it made 2 batches in my 1.5 pint Cooks Essentials Thermo Electric Ice Cream Maker. 😊 😊 😊 After I made it I put it in a container in the freezer to get harder.

Vanilla Gelato

4 cup milk

1/2 cup to 1 cup sugar

3 Tablespoons cornstarch

1/2 Tablespoon vanilla

Mix the cornstarch and sugar in a saucpan. Mix in a little milk to make a paste. Add the rest of the milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring until it boils. Boil 2 minutes.Stir in the vanilla. Put in a bowl, let cool and place a piece of plastic wrap on top of mixture to prevent a skin from forming. Chill overnight. Follow directions of your maker. Makes 1 quart. 

Straciatella Gelato- is made by drizzling in melted chocolate in the final stages of churning. Sorta hard to do with the 1.5 pint machine. So I just stirred in grated dark chocolate in the finished gelato, before letting it harden in the freezer. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Gelato Recipes for 1.5 pint Cooks Essentials Thermo Electric Ice Cream Maker

Vanilla Milk Gelato 

2 cups whole milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

4 egg yolks

3/4 cups sugar

1 cup heavy cream

Heat milk over medium heat  to almost boiling. Beat together egg yolks and  sugar. Slowly add some milk to eggs, to bring them up to temperature.  Add rest of milk. Strain if necessary to remove any cooked eggs. Return to pot and cook til thickened.Take off heat add cream and vanilla stir. Chill overnight. Follow directions of your maker. Makes 1 quart.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Gelato Recipes for 1.5 pint Cooks Essentials Thermo Electric Ice Cream Maker

David Venable posted a Blog receipe for Pina Colada Ice Cream using this same machine.

Clcik Here for Link to Recipe

pinacolada2.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Barbarainnc Thanks for sharing. I saw those when I was searching online to see which one I wanted to use. The booklet has one in it with Irish Cream but I don't want to put that in there. I guess they add some liquor so it does not get so hard. Found this info. about adding Alcohol on David Lebovitz site. It may come in handy while using the machine. If I added any I would have to use Vodka or Ever Clear as I don't like the taste of liquor.

Alcohol

Alcohol doesn't freeze, which you know if you're anything like me and keep a bottle of vodka chilled and ready in your freezer. You can add up to 3 tablespoons of 40 proof liquor to 1 quart (1 liter) of your frozen dessert mixture prior to churning. I use vodka if I don't want the taste of the liquor to intrude on the flavor, but will switch to another liquor such as Gran Marnier or Armagnac to enhance the original flavor if it's compatible.

If my mixture is fruit-based, I prefer to add kirsch, a liquor which enhances the taste of stone fruits, like peaches, plums, nectarines, as well as berries. Generally-speaking, I'll add enough so the taste isn't very present, often less than a tablespoon.

For sorbets and sherbets, a glug of Champagne, white wine or rosé is nice with fruit flavors. 1/2 cup (125 ml) can be added per quart (liter) of mixture prior to churning. Or if the recipe calls for cooking the fruit with water, substitute some dry or sweet white wine for a portion of the water; the amount will depend on how much of the wine you want to taste. (Most of the alcohol will cook out but enough will remain to keep your sorbet softer.)

Honored Contributor

@vickie25 Thx for sharing the Pina Colada Ice Cream. DH will probably like it. I like Gelato better since it does not seem to bother my stomach like ice cream does.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I want to make some of the Meyer Lemon Gelato if I can find the Meyer lemons. I love lemon.

Also wanted to share I found 150+ ice cream recipes on the TipNut site. Some of those are Gelato recipes.

Respected Contributor

I have made all 3 of the recipes I posted. Really like the chocolate gelato and the vanilla milk gelato with the egg yolks in it. It tasted richer than the vanilla gelato with the cornstarch in it. It's ok though. 😊😊😊

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Barbarainnc This is the recipe from ecole chocolat I made tonight. It had a pudding consistency before putting in ice cream maker.

I used Hershey's Cocoa Powder & Bittersweet Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bars.

Yield: Makes about 1 quart

Ingredients:

3 cups whole milk, divided
1/2 cup sugar 
3 tbsps. cornstarch 
1 tbsp. finely powdered cocoa
7 oz. fine quality dark chocolate (50% or higher cocoa content)
3/4 tsp. flaked or crunchy finishing sea salt 

Method

Bring 2 1/4 cups milk just to a boil in a 4-quart heavy saucepan. Meanwhile, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, then add 1/4 cup cold milk in a small bowl land whisk until smooth. Once milk in saucepan is boiling, whisk in cornstarch-sugar mixture and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil, whisking frequently, for 2-3 minutes until mixture bubbles and is very thick. Remove from heat.

Bring remaining 1/2 cup cold milk just to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Pour hot milk over chocolate in a bowl and let stand until chocolate is melted, about 1-2 minutes. Whisk until smooth.

Stir into cornstarch-milk mixture until thoroughly blended. Pour into a bowl and let cool slightly, about five minutes, stirring frequently to prevent a skin from forming. Cover surface with wax paper or plastic wrap and chill in fridge until completely cold, 2-3 hours. Stir in salt right before pouring into ice cream maker.

Stir and freeze mixture in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions; transfer to an airtight container and freeze until hardened, about 3 hours. Let soften 5 minutes before serving.

Respected Contributor

Thank you ladies for the recipes. I have some random thoughts....

@Nightowlz, King A sells this delicious vanilla bean in bourbon: their are actual sugar crystals around the lid. I don't know if that'll be enough alcohol to prevent ice crystals, but it's delicious in traditional ice creams and baked goods.

In my reading, allegedly fat slows ice crystals too: consider adding a little organic coconut oil while you are cooking your mixture. I do have liquid lecithin on hand which might not be a bad addition because it's an emulsifier.

Corn starch is not the only thickener in town....consider Instant Clear Gel....I have played with xanthum gum and guar gum in creating pretty decent puddings from lower fat non-dairy milks. I don't know why it wouldn't work for frozen desserts.. .

I also love glucomannon-and it adds some fiber.

I don't do well with lactose or sugar (diabetic) so, I have just begun experimenting. Since its a holiday, today I am going to play with full fat coconut cream: there is a blueberry recipe in the CE cookbook that looked delicious (ok-no favorites here: they all looked wonderful!!). I am going to play with that, but I also plan on making one of the vanilla gelato/ice cream recipes.

Party on!

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 Thx for the tip on the product from King A. You may want to check out this recipe I found for Chocolate Gelato that uses sugar free sweetener plus a little stevia liquid. It uses full fat coconut milk. If you search Google for Sleepy Time Gal Heavenly Chocolate Gelato you can find the recipe.