Honored Contributor

Re: Garden Salad - what are your essential ingredients?

@Danky wrote:

Wow---- I'm the only lazy one that uses bag o salad ! I throw on Campari or Jersey tomatoes, red onions , very thin sliced cukes, thin sliced radishes, 

avacado, artichoke hearts, shredded carrots, garbanzo beans and strips of assorted cheeses 

topped with either Good Seasons made from powdered mix or Marie's blue cheese. Also.....I never do more for my guests than I would do for myself.

Who is Daphne Oz ?

@Danky

Daphne Oz is Dr. Mehmet Oz's daughter.  She is on the TV program called The Chew with Mario Batali, Michael Symon and Carla Hall.  She has also written a couple of cookbooks.  

Respected Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

I'm making a garden salad for company this week.  DH and I usually use romaine lettuce, red onion and tomatoes, because he's not a fan of raw veggies.  

ZZZZZZzzzzzz.... that's a snooze in my opinion.

What should I add to jazz it up?

@house_catWhen I have salad with a meal for company, I like to have several options.

I make it like a salad bar where everyone can make their own salad.

Iceberg, romaine and spinach

all kinds of veggies

black olives

cheese

eggs

mushrooms

three different dressings

Honored Contributor

I decided on:

Romaine Lettuce

Red Leaf Lettuce

Yellow Bell Peppers

Grape tomatoes

Red Onion

Sliced Mushrooms

Shredded Carrots

Sliced radishes

Walnuts

I'm using a simple dressing I got from a Martha Stewart show decades ago - it's our favorite:

• 1/4 cup white-wine vinegar.
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard.
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt.
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
  • Pinch of sugar.
  • 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil.

(Emulsify in food processor)

Also, I wanted to share a very simple appetizer idea I found on Pinterest today. I wanted light appetizers so we aren't all full before I serve lunch.

4d1df01f3daea4aab090027bf304df17.jpg

It's simply slices of cucumber with the seeds hollowed out - leave enough on the bottom so the filling doesn't fall through - fill with hummus.  

Couldn't be easier!

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

I eat a ton of salad with my evening meals.  It's pretty basic....Romaine lettuce, shredded carrots, shredded cojack cheese & sunflower seeds.  Occasionally, I add radishes (I've seen shredded radishes in the grocery store), cucumbers or cherry/grape tomatoes.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

At its most basic, my garden salad is made from Romaine and has tomato and cucumber.  My husband puts in red onion but I usually don't.  I do like a lot of other stuff in my salad personally.  But a basic salad would be as I describe.  I could see putting in shredded carrots, and also purple cabbage.  I don't put in green or red pepper for company because a lot of folks don't like it.  P.S. I hate spring mix. It tastes like limp garden weeds to me.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat

You had mentioned that you needed the salad to be vegan.  Some vegans follow WFPB - Whole Food Plant Based eating which generally means no oil.  Since you plan to pre-dress the salad, I just wanted to mention this in case you are not sure whether your vegan guest uses oil. 

P.S.  Your salad sounds delicious by the way.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Reading through the suggestions, two more might be apples (or strawberries) and sauerkraut or pickles.  (I also do vegan salads, @house_cat.  It's so nice to see others doing that as well.)

Raisins are another way to add a nice sweet flavor.

The sauerkraut and pickles (diced) are surprisingly tasty on a salad.  Not the typical ingredients - but if you're fans of them - quite tasty on there!

P.S. - forgot to mention nutritional yeast!

Frequent Contributor

I love all the great salad ideas. One thing I didn't see mentioned is black beans. Good source of protein. I love salsa, so I sometimes substitute salsa for dressing. Salsas are generally much lower in calories and fat than most dressings. Fruit salsas are especially good on summer salads. 

Trusted Contributor

@lOVETOSHOP wrote:

Not to go off topic, but how come everyone ELSE's salad always tastes better than MINE?!

@lOVETOSHOP...I have always said this! Salad always tastes better when someone else makes it. It's a mystery to me.

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

1 cup torn bread (preferably from a baguette or fresh loaf)

2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil

1/2 sea salt

fresh ground pepper

1 1/2 lbs/ 4-ish heirloom tomatoes

sea salt + fresh ground pepper

2 cups soft lettuce of choice (arugula, spring greens, butter lettuce)

1/2 cup fresh basil leaves

1 shallot, finely chopped

8 oz. burrata cheese, room temperature

good quality extra virgin olive oil

balsamic vinegar

TOMATO_BURRATA_SALAD_03.jpg