Trusted Contributor

Re: GNOCCHI...DO YOU MAKE IT?

@nyc1 gnocchi with a bison ragu sounds so good!

Honored Contributor

@Knit-Chick 

Oh wow, thanks!  I have never seen a board like that!

Not sure I would invest since I only make it a couple times/yr......I struggle a bit w/ the fork.

Thanks for posting!

Respected Contributor

@Pook wrote:

I can definitely say that the prepared ones definitely are not the same as real homemade ones.  They are good but when you've had the best, just not the same!  I cannot imagine any true chef saying not worth making as many recipes they make take way more time and need more expensive ingredients!!  I would suspect they do not really know how to make them well!!  I could make  a few servings from scratch right there quite quickly to serve timely!

@Pook The chef's I was talking about were referring to pasta, not gnocchi. I've heard from many chefs that it's just as tasty as fresh pasta, as long as it's prepared correctly -- aldente. I've had it both ways; I agree. Chef's focus on the sauces.

I just added that you're also able to get a good, already prepared gnocchi, as well. I know I have. Dressed up, it's quite tasty.

As good as homemade? With this dish probably not, from posts shared, but definitely a time saver and a dish to try for someone who has never tasted gnocchi before deciding to take the leap making it. 

Respected Contributor

@Knit-Chick wrote:

@nyc1 gnocchi with a bison ragu sounds so good!

@Knit-Chick   Beyond good.  Had it at a really nice restaurant in Chicago around 8-10 years ago, and I still remember it to this day.   

Respected Contributor

Gnocchi was my mother's favorite meal.  My grandmother used to make them from scartch for my mother's birthday every year when she was growing up.  

Gnocchi was the last meal my mother ate before she died.

Respected Contributor

@Blue Finch

Sounds like a good idea to at least try the prepared ones before I try and make it my self. Thanks for that tip.

Respected Contributor

Thanks every body who posted, for lots of good information. I learned a lot and it sounds as if it might be worth a try if I like the prepared ones. 

I always get such good information when ever I come here and ask a question. THANK YOU ALL.

Respected Contributor

@Flatbush wrote:

Thanks every body who posted, for lots of good information. I learned a lot and it sounds as if it might be worth a try if I like the prepared ones. 

I always get such good information when ever I come here and ask a question. THANK YOU ALL.

@Flatbush   Please don't judge based on the prepared ones.  We've tried those and SOME (not all) are HORRIBLE.   Maybe order it at a good Italian restaurant and see if you like them.  Maybe they'll make an appetizer portion for you.  

They are SOOO GOOD when made properly.  Yummm. 

Honored Contributor

Is this the same as RIVELS?  If so, I never have had them but a friends aunt used to make them.

Super Contributor

Aaah ... this topic brings back memories.

My dad's parents came over from Italy in the early 1900s and he made authentic Italian food from scratch. My dad died when I was 22, but I can vividly remember our gnocchi making assembly line. I was pretty young when we did it and can't give you the details, but I remember it took quite a while to make ... but we had a lot of fun doing it. He never wrote any of his recipes down, so unfortunately all that knowledge went with him. For years I didn't think there were any good Italian restaurants outside of Baltimore's Little Italy because the food just wasn't as good as Dad used to make.