Honored Contributor

Re: GNOCCHI...DO YOU MAKE IT?

I have a recipe to make Ricotta Gnocchi....

VERY easy and the freshness is very worth it.

As soon as the toms come in my garden, I will be making fresh sauce for fresh gnocchi again!

Trusted Contributor

I always make Ricotta Gnocchi at Easter because we get a big tub of fresh ricotta for our Italian baking.  It's really not too time consuming, unless you're doing a huge batch.  The hardest part is getting them rolled with the little ridges, but even that isn't necessary.  Fresh gnocchi are so very good and ricotta ones are very light.

Now I think I need to go get some ricotta.... Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I can definitely say that the prepared ones definitely are not the same as real homemade ones.  They are good but when you've had the best, just not the same!  I cannot imagine any true chef saying not worth making as many recipes they make take way more time and need more expensive ingredients!!  I would suspect they do not really know how to make them well!!  I could make  a few servings from scratch right there quite quickly to serve timely!

Honored Contributor

@Knit-Chick 

How do you get the ridges?

TIA

Honored Contributor

I've made it occasionally, with mixed results.  I do know that it freezes well. My mom used to freeze them on a cookie sheet so they wouldn't clump together, then put them into a bag and pop them out another time.

My mom used her finger to make the indent. I had some crazy good Playdoh skills as a child and loved to help.  I bought this little board, though, and it makes it easier. It looks big in the photo, but it's not - you hold it in one hand and roll the gnocchi along it with the other - very fast and easy.

Screen Shot 2022-07-14 at 3.04.04 PM.png

If you want a good demo, Google Laura Vitale, "Laura in the Kitchen" and "gnocchi".  Her videos are always excellent.  

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Gnocchi made fresh is SO MUCH better than anything you buy frozen or in a bag.  When made right they are amazing.  Little pillows of deliciousness!!!!   I've made them twice and the first time was the winner.  There are little tricks regarding how much handling,  water in the potatoes, etc.  I haven't tried making it in several years,  but you've given me food for thought (!!!)  and I may do so in the next couple of weeks.  It's one of my husbands favorite things to order when on the menu (which is never a guarantee).

Honored Contributor

Okay, most people say they are very yummy .... HOWEVER .... just how do you serve them?  Topped with spaghetti sauce ... or something else? 

Can you just throw some in a pot of soup? 

What do you do with them?

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Okay, most people say they are very yummy .... HOWEVER .... just how do you serve them?  Topped with spaghetti sauce ... or something else? 

You can absolutely top with tomato sauce,  or some butter and parm.  If you google,  you'll find people make and serve them so many different ways.  Years ago my husband got them in a bison ragu.  OMG...  that dish was incredible.

Trusted Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

I've made it occasionally, with mixed results.  I do know that it freezes well. My mom used to freeze them on a cookie sheet so they wouldn't clump together, then put them into a bag and pop them out another time.

My mom used her finger to make the indent. I had some crazy good Playdoh skills as a child and loved to help.  I bought this little board, though, and it makes it easier. It looks big in the photo, but it's not - you hold it in one hand and roll the gnocchi along it with the other - very fast and easy.

Screen Shot 2022-07-14 at 3.04.04 PM.png

If you want a good demo, Google Laura Vitale, "Laura in the Kitchen" and "gnocchi".  Her videos are always excellent.  

@RespectLife I have this board that house-cat shared.  I still don't have the hang of it, even after watching videos.  They make it look so easy.  One of my aunts uses the back of a fork and just rolls them over.  

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

We usually have them with just a very simple tomato sauce, topped with parmesan.  I also put them in chicken soup.