Respected Contributor

Re: GMO apples that don't turn brown soon to be sold here

[ Edited ]

What *I* think we don't want is science tampering with Mother Nature.  Something about that makes me worry about the future.

Haven't we already read about fish which are of neither one sex

nor the other?  Frankenfish to frankenfood...........maybe not a huge leap and the effect on humans over the long-term remains unknown.

MY OPINION ONLY!!   No flames necessary.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'd heard GM Delicious apples were introduced last spring, and would not be labelled as such. IMO, they're messing with our health. Just another food I will only feed my kids/granddaughter when it's organic.

Wonder if it has anything to do with gender confusion, learning problems, etc. They probably won't ever let us know.

FWIW, California Organic Almonds have to be either steam pasteurized, or chemically treated, so I only get almonds grown in Spain or Italy.

Edit: to change "unless it's organic" to "when it's organic". Clarity prevails.

Honored Contributor

@summerwind wrote:

I'd heard GM Delicious apples were introduced last spring, and would not be labelled as such. IMO, they're messing with our health. Just another food I will only feed my kids/granddaughter unless it's organic.

Wonder if it has anything to do with gender confusion, learning problems, etc. They probably won't ever let us know.

FWIW, California Organic Almonds have to be either steam pasteurized, or chemically treated, so I only get almonds grown in Spain or Italy.

@summerwind No they don't want to label them. They don't want you to know because many will not buy them. We have the right to now so they should be labelled. We have the right to know what garbage they are putting in our food & what is GM.

This paragraph is from the article about the apples which the original poster posted the link.

But others say that Okanagan hasn’t gone far enough in telling consumers how its apple was made. The company does not mention GMOs on the apples’ bags; instead, the bags have a QR code—which links to online information when it is scanned by a smartphone. “Not everyone has a smartphone, and even if you have one, are you going to check every item with it?” says Bill Freese, a science-policy analyst at the Center for Food Safety, an advocacy group in Washington DC. He wants the apples to be clearly labelled as GMOs.

I just bought a bag of organic Jazz Apples & a bag of organic Honeycrip Apples plus some organic bananas & grapes.

Valued Contributor

Re: GMO apples now available that don't turn brown

@tishkins wrote:

Not a good idea. Who knows what chemicals have been used to achieve this BRILLIANT FRUIT. Don't mess with my apples. Why do we have to have  this. We have dealt with apples turning brown for ages. Enough with changing food. That's why there are so many people getting sick. I When I go shopping now I look for the label saying NON GMO. Read about the genetically modified food. BAD

i agree wholeheartedly.  anyone who has seen the Netflix documentary GMO OMG would think twice about eating anything GMO.