Respected Contributor

GMO apples that don't turn brown soon to be sold here

[ Edited ]

Genetically modified apples that don't brown after cutting are coming to U.S. markets--initially in the Midwest.

Not sure I'm excited about that, but here's the story........

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/genetically-modified-browning-resistant-apple-reaches-u-s...

Honored Contributor

Re: GMO apples now available that don't turn brown

I just use a product called Fruit Fresh.  It’s citric acid which is found in citrus fruits in powder form.

I put a tea spoon full in about a quart of water, add cut apples, take them out of the water and then blot them dry and transfer to a container,  They keep in the refrigerator a day or two ( they could last longer, but we always eat them]. It works in other fruits too, even bananas.

Apples are so expensive this year.  I’ll bet the new ones will be even higher priced. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: GMO apples that don't turn brown soon to be sold here

I love apples 🍎 but will never buy these.There are already too many chemicals in our fruits & vegetables.Who knows what they put into the fertilizer to get them to not turn brown!!

Regular Contributor

Re: GMO apples now available that don't turn brown

Not a good idea. Who knows what chemicals have been used to achieve this BRILLIANT FRUIT. Don't mess with my apples. Why do we have to have  this. We have dealt with apples turning brown for ages. Enough with changing food. That's why there are so many people getting sick. I When I go shopping now I look for the label saying NON GMO. Read about the genetically modified food. BAD

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I love apples 🍎 but will never buy these.There are already too many chemicals in our fruits & vegetables.Who knows what they put into the fertilizer to get them to not turn brown!!

These apples have been altered genetically, not fed with fertilizer or anything else to keep them from turning brown.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624

You've highlighted a common misconception about GMO foods and how they are created.  How these scientific "miracles" are achieved, however, doesn't make them any more appetizing to think about, as far as I'm concerned.  

I didn't know about fish fillets being subjected to the same treatment, which the story reveals.  That's not a plus for my appetite, either!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

These apples have been altered genetically, not fed with fertilizer or anything else to keep them from turning brown.

@Kachina624  IMO it’s just as bad.Altering nature with chemicals or hormones doesn’t make me want to eat them.

Honored Contributor

I don’t like GMO foods, but I know that I and most other people are eating them...often.

Corn, squash, tomatoes, potatoes rice, milk and dairy products and canola oil, plus many others are often GMO products.

Most of the corn in the USA has been modified.  There are some countries that will not use our seeds or import our corn products because of this.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's obvious that many people have no idea what "genetically modifed" actually means.

Simplified:

Genetically modified foods or GM foods, also known as genetically engineered foods or bioengineered foods, are foods produced from organisms that have had changes introduced into their DNA using the methods of genetic engineering. Genetic engineering techniques allow for the introduction of new traits as well as greater control over traits than previous methods such as selective breeding and mutation breeding.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I won't be buying any of the Artic Apples or the GM potatoes they have. Won't be buying any of that fish either.

We don't need GM apples so they won't turn brown. Just eat it when you cut it & you won't have a problem. If you use in a recipe use a little lemon juice.

I read about the Golden Rice Project & don't like that either. 

We don't want GM foods.