Respected Contributor

GARLIC fresh vs GARLIC powder

I have a recipe that calls for one clove of garlic. I don't use fresh garlic very often and wonder if I can use garlic powder instead.

If so, what would be the equivalent of one clove? Thank you.

Respected Contributor

Re: GARLIC fresh vs GARLIC powder

@Flatbush wrote:

I have a recipe that calls for one clove of garlic. I don't use fresh garlic very often and wonder if I can use garlic powder instead.

If so, what would be the equivalent of one clove? Thank you.

@Flatbush 

I looked online and 1/8 tsp was suggested as a replacement for each clove. That's about what I was thinking too. 

Honored Contributor

I keep powdered garlic on hand as I have some recipes that call for it.  I used to buy a bulb of garlic on a semi regular basis - always ended up using a few cloves and eventually pitching what was left.  These days I’ve replaced fresh bulbs with already minced garlic in a jar of water. It’s convenient and works well for me. I get it at Aldi. Once opened, it goes in the fridge and lasts a long time.  

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch 

I use the same minced garlic in water for my huge batches if marinara sauce.  However, I liquefy it in one of those very small food processors: no pieces to bite into or get  stuck in the teeth.

Of course, it needs constant attention when I cook it before adding to the other seasonings in the sauce.

It does keep a long time refrigerated !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

I use garlic powder most of the time, instead of real garlic.

I am not that fond of the taste of garlic & when I cook with it my husband smells like garlic for days!

The powder gives a bit of flavor, not like real garlic, but that is okay with me.

Honored Contributor

I love garlic and I use the minced, as well as garlic salt in other dishes.

Garlic powder never lasts for me, even in lock & lock spice containers, it turns into a solid brick in no time, the same with onion powder.

That may be because I live in the hot, humid South.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Thank you everyone who responded. Good info here. Now I won't have to waste almost a whole head of garlic for one clove.

Honored Contributor

Trader Joe's sells frozen cubes of minced garlic.  Great for salad dressings, etc.  

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

Trader Joe's sells frozen cubes of minced garlic.  Great for salad dressings, etc.  

@DiAnne 

Sounds like a good solution.