Occasional Contributor

Sometimes, I crave the sea.

And I'm not just talking seafood. This craving, is more like longing for the taste of a vast ocean, the salty spray of a cold, bountiful world, deep below the sturdy keel of a seaworthy vessel.

And when this calling strikes me, my options are limited. I don't live near the fish mongers of Pikes Place, Seattle, nor among the villagers of Skagway, Alaska. But fortunately, I do live near a local megamart, a vast marketplace that offers enough seafarin bounty to steer a perfect meal, in the perfect direction.

If you crave the sea, perhaps this dish, what I call Fruits of the Sea, will also satisfy.

INGREDIENTS:

1 LB LIVE MUSSELS OR CLAMS
1 LB LARGE TO JUMBO SHRIMP, RAW, FROZEN IS FINE, DEVEINED, SHELLS OFF.
1 LB WHITE FISH (SUCH AS COD), WHATEVER IS FRESH
1-2 CARROTS, PEELED AND CHOPPED
2-3 STALKS CELERY, CHOPPED
1 ONION, CHOPPED
1-2 CLOVES GARLIC, MINCED
CHOPPED FRESH PARSLEY
1-2 TBLSP DRIED ITALIAN SEASONING OR Herbes de Provence
SALT AND PEPPER
OLIVE OIL
1-2 LEMONS, CUT
2 BOTTLES OF YOUR FAVORITE BEER (YES BEER)
1 CUP DRIED, WHITE RICE

DIRECTIONS:

Prepare the seafood. I like to soak my bivalves (mussels and clams) in a pot of well-salted water for 15-30 minutes. taste the salt-water, so that it resembles the salinity of the ocean. For this, I use plain old Iodized salt, although I enjoy Kosher salt for cooking. This is important, especially with clams. They will digest the water, and clear out their systems, which will help to minimize sand, etc. Mussels, that's usually not so much a problem, but I do it anyway. Be sure to inspect each one, throw out any that do not close, or any with cracked shells. After, give them all a nice rinse with cold water, clean off any loose debris on the shells, then put them in a dry, open container (like a tuperware container with the lid off), and place them in the cooler. With the shrimp, run frozen shrimp under cold water for about 10 minutes to defrost, then devein and remove the shell (leave the tails on). For the white-fish, cut into nice, large, bite-size pieces, perhaps 1 inch in diameter. Once prepped, set aside in the fridge until they are ready for the jacuzzi.

Prepare the rice. Cook 1 cup dried rice per directions on the box. Me, I like to use my pressure cooker. My recipe is simple: 1 cup white rice to 1 cup of water, cook on high pressure for 3 minutes, then quick release, move the rice around with a fork, then drop lid, and set on warm. Comes out perfect every time, not too dry, not too wet.

In a large skillet (like a 12 inch deep skillet with lid), heat olive oil over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, onion, garlic, season with salt, pepper, and dried herbs, cook down until soft (about 5 minutes). Crack open 1 beer, and start drinking it (this step is very important). Crack the 2nd bottle of beer open, and pour it into the skillet. Cook for about 10 minutes, so that beer will reduce. Add juice of 1/2 lemon. Reduce heat to simmer.

Add the seafood. I usually throw everyone in the jacuzzi at the same time, but if you want to avoid overcooking the white fish, add them about 7 minutes in. In any event, add the kids right on top, then cover and steam for about 10 minutes. Check periodically. once the mussels (or clams) are open, the dish is done. It goes very quickly. Squirt 1/2 lemon over the dish, throw parsley on top.

Plating: I like to use a large, large oversized bowl. I start by putting about 1/2 cup of rice on the bottom, then I start adding the seafood...Some whitefish, some shrimp, some mussels. Add 2 or more Ladles of the juice over the entire thing, being sure all the juice and goodies drop into the mussels (impressive). Add a couple slices of lemon on the side.

Eat, enjoy. Craving satisfied. Goes great with sourdough or garlic bread.

fin