Contributor
I was wondering if anyone had a recipe for a fruit cocktail cake. My aunt used to make them 50+years ago and I'm kicking myself for never getting the recipe. Thanks in advance.
Honored Contributor

@mrspotts    You can find a recipe for just about anything online.

https://www.gonnawantseconds.com/grandmas-fruit-cocktail-cake-recipe/ 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

Mine recipe is the same as the link provided and it is to die for.  Very rich though!!  Enjoy.  

Honored Contributor

I haven't thought about this cake since my mother made it decades ago.  Her recipe called for it to be baked in an Angel Food cake pan:

20-oz can pineapple slices in syrup, drained

15-oz can peach halves in syrup, drained

15-oz can pear halves in syrup, drained

10-oz jar Maraschino cherries, drained and stems removed

3 cups flour

4 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

2 cups sugar

4 eggs

3/4 cup butter, melted and cooled

3 cups whipped cream

Set aside 5 pineapple slices, 2 peach halves, 2 pear halves,  and 20 cherries to decorate iced cake.  Pulse rest of fruit in food processor for 5 pulses. 

Stir flour, baking soda, and salt in mixing bowl.  Whip sugar and eggs with whisks on electric mixer until thick.  Slowly mix in butter on low speed.  Mix in fruit and flour mixture until just combined.  Scrape into greased and floured 16-cup Angel Food cake pan.  Be sure top of batter is level and smooth.  Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour.  Set pan on wire rack and cool for1/2 hour.  Take cake out of pan and cool on rack for 3 hours.

Put cake on serving plate and ice with whipped cream.  Decorate top of cake with reserved fruit cut into sections.

Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter  Thank you for this recipe--sounds wonderful!

@mrspotts. Welcome to the boards and for asking this question. 

@robbn99 @Kachina624. Thank you for the recipe you linked to and confirming it is good.

The only recipe I have tasted was by a friend long ago and she used a boxed spiced cake mix which was good, but these sound better!

That's why I appreciate this forum.  People share ideas and recipes so generously.

aroc3435 

Respected Contributor

@mrspotts wrote:
I was wondering if anyone had a recipe for a fruit cocktail cake. My aunt used to make them 50+years ago and I'm kicking myself for never getting the recipe. Thanks in advance.

@mrspotts  I don't know if you would be interested in this recipe but I used to make (probably at least 25 yrs ago or more) a fruit cocktail bread pudding. I don't have the measurements anymore but I remember it was made with a loaf of white bread or challah, eggs, milk, 1 can of fruit cocktail without the juice I think and raisins. I also added white chocolate chips if I wanted it to be even more decadent.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.