Honored Contributor

I have one each (green and red pepper)  in the freezer and am wondering if I use them in a recipe (on a cookie sheet with other veggies and meat) will they be soggy/limp?

Usually I use frozen veggies in a recipe I am baking or in goulash that I make on the stove top...I don't know what the consistency of the vegetable will be...I'd appreciate advice.  thanks

Frequent Contributor

Re: Frozen green and red pepper

I use peppers I have diced and frozen in roasted root vegetables all the time and they come out great.  Would you be cutting and seeding the peppers before roasting?  I would tend to think they may be soggy if you don't do that before hand.  I hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

@kare29   Yes, cutting and seeding first.  It's a sheet pan recipe...easy and it helps use up veggies...I just have never used vegetables that were frozen first.

thank you

Honored Contributor

Frozen peppers will be limp when they are thawed out.    You can use them in any cooked recipe and they will taste as good as fresh, but there will be no snap in them and they are not the best eaten raw once frozen.

You can cook them with fresh veggies, but yes, they will be limp, but delicious.

I always freeze peppers in the fall when they are priced low. We enjoy them all winter long.

Honored Contributor

I snap off those little parts of the cap after I cut it off and freeze them, along with any other scrap pieces to use in soups and stir frys.  

Respected Contributor

I use frozen peppers for chili and sloppy joes.

I never roasted a frozen pepper but you can try it and always toss it if it doesn't turn out to your liking.

That's what's fun about cooking, if it doesn't turn out, oh well, you'll do things different next time.  Let us know how it works out.

Honored Contributor

They will be limp and soggy when they defrost. 

Not ideal for a sheet pan dinner.

Honored Contributor

I just made my own frozen peppers the other day--one each color of peppers and one onion all chopped up then put in the freezer on cookie sheets to freeze then into a heavy freezer bag---made alot too---and much less pricey than from the store.