Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I bought frozen cod fillets w/no breading and it was awful in texture and rubbery.  So I didn't cook the entire package.  I was thinking if I cooked it in a cream sauce it might help.  I did google and found a few recipies ... one in particular was in a tomato cream sauce.  I really never gave that one a thought.  Any suggestions from you cooking experts!

Honored Contributor

It sounds to me like you didn't cook it long enough.    Fish will "flake" when you test it with a fork,  if it is done -- no matter what method of cooking you use.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

It sounds to me like you didn't cook it long enough.    Fish will "flake" when you test it with a fork,  if it is done -- no matter what method of cooking you use.

I cooked it to directions. It was done for sure.

Occasional Contributor

I have experienced this too. It is cooked as instructed, but some pieces have chewy texture instead of being flaky, it is like biting into a tough muscle.  This has only been happening in the last year or so. If you don't mind light batter, members mark/Sams Club has beer battered cod fillets and I've never found any with that odd texture.

Respected Contributor

I  ordered the cod from QVC and it is delicious.  It is a little expensive, but so worth it.  Cooks up nice every time.

We do not eat out much any more and my husband has health issues so better to cook at home.   So we treat ourselves to the food the Q offers.   Cheaper than eating out and no tip required.  Lol

The salmon is excellent as well.

Esteemed Contributor

Bought once - that fish wouldn't flake....even if you kicked across kitchen floor.

Threw it out ..................

Honored Contributor

Do you have an airfryer? frozen things do very well in one--I don't buy frozen fish in boxes tho--but have cooked fresh frozen fish---was wonderful.

Respected Contributor

@rms1954   I've not had this problem, but if I did I would make an Italian type tomato sauce and add the chunked cod, and other seafood, such as shrimp and clams for the last few minutes just to cook the seafood just to "doneness" and serve over linguine.

Hope this helps.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Respected Contributor

Re: Frozen Cod Rubbery

[ Edited ]

@fthunt wrote:

Bought once - that fish wouldn't flake....even if you kicked across kitchen floor.

Threw it out ..................

Kicking across the kitchen floor not a cooking method I am familiar with.

Trusted Contributor

I make cod in the oven sealed with parchment paper, it's delicious, give it a try.  I saw it on Rachel Ray on youtube,