Honored Contributor
Sounds to me like your skillet and oil is not hot enough to brown the chicken quickly, and the chicken sits there soaking up grease and loosens the skin.
Honored Contributor

Re: Fried chicken

[ Edited ]

First thing use a canola or vegetable oil filling a dutch oven 1/2 way -- grease will expand when adding chicken.  Temp of oil should be 375 degrees. (I use thermometer to make sure it's the correct temp) do not add chicken until oil is 375.

Prep:

I soak my chicken parts overnite in pot with buttermilk, seasoning and few drops of Frank's hot sauce (optional). We like with a little tang.

Remove chicken parts and drain off excess buttermilk.  Then dredge in flour, seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic & onion powder.

Shaking off excess flour.

Slowly place a few pieces in dutch oven to cook .  DO NOT overcrowd pan.   cook about 8 minutes turning with spider 1/2 way.  Remove to sheet pan with wire rack covered with paper towel to absorb excess oil.

Allow oil to come back up to 375 and add rest of chicken.  Repeating same cooking time and place on cookie sheet.

Once done,I put i oven on this tray without the paper towel on 300 to continue to cook and fully warm while I prepare sides.

It comes out crunchy and tasty.  I don't use any type of bread crumbs.

Enjoy!!!🌼🍗

Let oil come back up 

Respected Contributor

For sure going to follow this fried chicken recipie to the tee.thank you

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1that sounds absolutely perfect and delicious!

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Luvsmyfam wrote:
Thanks for info.yes,I do soak chicken overnight in milk,or heavy cream.and I have used baking powder along with flour to dredge.just can't get it right.it sure does make a good gravy tho

@Luvsmyfam 

Dip in flour first the egg sticks to the flour. Dip in flour again. I find this helps the coating stick.

I agree but after the first flour dredge, let the chicken sit for a bit, then flour again, then wet then flour.

Instead of salt for the seasoning I use baking soda but use less baking soda than salt, baking soda is very "salty"

@Luvsmyfam 

Honored Contributor

I never learned to make fried chicken in a skillet.  The couple of times I tried it got too done on the outside and still raw in the middle.  The only success I have had with fried chicken is in a deep fat fryer.  A lot of trouble and mess for just the two of us.  I just buy the Publix chicken now.  I actually picked some up yesterday and plan to heat up in the air fryer for dinner tonight.

Respected Contributor

I make fried chicken for hubby...I've used the seasoned flour for coating and sometimes crushed  garlic cheese croutons.  I always flour the chicken first.  My only gripe is the MESS of oil splattered everywhere.   Sometimes I continue cooking in the oven if the pieces are large and thick...legs with thighs.  I don't eat the skin, so I only make it for him.  But the mess😑

Respected Contributor
Actually,I think I will invest in a good cast iron frying pan.what I fry chicken is a Teflon coated pan.now my question,is where and who sells cast iron frying pans?
Respected Contributor

Re: Fried chicken

[ Edited ]

@Luvsmyfam  I just made Fried Chicken on Sun.  I brined the chicken first for a full day.  Dried off the chicken.  Then added 1/2 cup of cornstarch to 3 cups of flour and 1 tsp of baking powder,  and a lot of seasoning.  i split the flour mix.  First I dipped the dried chicken in the one flour, then dip in buttermilk (I had almond milk and stirred in a little sour cream) and let excess drip off, then into the second flour mix.  Do that with all of your chicken pieces and let them rest for about 20 mins.   
I then put a canola/peanut oil in a cast iron skillet (I used 2/3 canola and 1/3 peanut ratio) and carefully added 5 pieces of chicken which cooked for 25 mins.  I put on rack in a 250 degree oven to keep hot and made the second batch.  Again drained on the rack I took out of the oven. 
The chicken came out super crisp and no breading came off. I double dipped a couple of pieces for a super thick crust, but think I prefer the one dip.  Don't forget to flour the dried chicken first, add cornstarch/baking powder and let it rest before you fry.  
I hope this helps. 

Honored Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ 

Thank you been using since taught as a kid.  Fried chicken takes patience & perfect oil temp😉

Enjoy🍗🍗