Valued Contributor

My mom always made fried potatoes in a cast iron skillet , She heated the "bacon grease ' and added  diced   onions to fry .Then added cut up let over  bolied potatoes [that had excess moisture dabbed off with a towel first ]add salt and pepper and fry , It takes a while to brown and then turn them[ medium heat]The salt helps them brown and the onions get dark and crispy. Delicious. I fry with vegetable  oil . Its best to use vegetable not olive , Olive oil cannot be heated to a high temo because it wil start smoking.. Bacon grease is the best though.

cathy from ma

Honored Contributor

Olive oil works very well, as long as you aren't using high heat.   I never use heat above medium to half way between medium and medium high, and have never had olive oil overheat.  Plus, I use some butter with it and that has an even lower flash point.

But, yeah, I'd not use olive oil if I were using high heat.  I honestly don't use medium high to high heat for anything except maybe getting water to boil.  Being at high elevation, sometimes it takes an act of congress to get water to boil!  Smiley Frustrated

Respected Contributor

Re: Fried Potatoes question

[ Edited ]

@coconut1818

Have read that coating potatoes with baking soda brings their  starch to the surface and this  can create crispier potatoes.

There are many discussions on the internet about frying and roasting crispy potatoes.  Should be easy to find if you search for "baking soda to cook potatoes".  

I'm pretty sure that some French fries I've had in restaurants over the years have been coated in some sort of seasoned flour mixture.  Info is probably available on the internet about the flour issue, too.

I don't do much frying these days, but I preferred using peanut oil because it doesn't smoke.

Good old-fashioned Crisco is probably going to get the best frying results.........too bad it's not good for us because of its trans fat content.

Honored Contributor

#GuaranteedGoodness

Adding baking soda is another way, but both just rough up 

the surface...which creates more crunch.

B2C83C4B-CC03-4F34-AEF6-8B2A8D59ADF8.jpeg

Valued Contributor

Thanks so much everyone!  I will be trying all of your suggestions.  I have made roasted potatoes in the oven but fried potatoes in a cast iron skillet bring back such wonderful memories of my sweet Mom.

Trusted Contributor

I use butter and olive oil, but I think it's just a matter of taste preference !!!

Honored Contributor

When we use to eat them, I put a little Crisco (white stuff) in the pan with some real butter.  

Honored Contributor

I cook my spuds in the micro for a bit, then slice them and finish on the stove top. I season them and then my secret is to sprinkle a little paprika on them---makes them look so toasted and nicely browned, the way fried spuds are suposed too. Doesn't add any flavor just color. I cook them in ghee or butter as I don't use any oils to cook in. 

Honored Contributor

for deep fried potatoes i use either peanut oil or canola oil.

for pan fried potatoes i use thinly sliced or chopped onions, potatoes, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and a mix of butter and bacon grease.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Nothing beats, or compares to, a good skillet of fried potatoes.   I love them.   In my family, if you couldn’t make a decent pot of pinto beans, fry a skillet of potatoes, make cornbread or biscuits, then you couldn’t cook.