Esteemed Contributor

making linguine with clam sauce....sent my husband to buy canned clams...he came homecwith fresh chopped clams!  how do i cook this clam meat before i add it to the clam sauce recipe?!  all i want to do is make a quick dinner!    i'm corona cranky today and need your help!  thank you...

Respected Contributor

@nana59   Make your normal red or white clam sauce, without the fresh chopped clams.  When you are ready to eat quickly stir in the clams just long enough to heat them through so they don't get rubbery,

That meal is on my menu plan this week, too, for either tomorrow or Saturday night.

Happy eating.

aroc3435

Esteemed Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@nana59   Make your normal red or white clam sauce, without the fresh chopped clams.  When you are ready to eat quickly stir in the clams just long enough to heat them through so they don't get rubbery,

That meal is on my menu plan this week, too, for either tomorrow or Saturday night.

Happy eating.

aroc3435

that's what i was thinking...but then i googled it...some websites say to simmer fresh clam meat for twenty minutes...and that's when i became confused....have you ever made your clam sauce using fresh meat?  fyi...i hate clams....just wanted to make it for my husband!!  

Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

@aroc3435 wrote:

Happy eating.

aroc3435

that's what i was thinking...but then i googled it...some websites say to simmer fresh clam meat for twenty minutes...and that's when i became confused....have you ever made your clam sauce using fresh meat?  fyi...i hate clams....just wanted to make it for my husband!!  

If you cook ahead and they get rubbery maybe you could finely purée to solve

Respected Contributor

@nana59 Usually if I use clams still in the closed shell you add them to a recipe near the end, put a lid on your pan and just heat gently just until the clams open and remove them to a side plate.  If a particular shell doesn't steam open it is a dud and should not be eaten.  But definitely twenty minutes is way too long.

Same idea as squid and octopus--overheating makes for "rubber band" consistency and is uneatable.

Hope this helps!  aroc3435

Esteemed Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@nana59 Usually if I use clams still in the closed shell you add them to a recipe near the end, put a lid on your pan and just heat gently just until the clams open and remove them to a side plate.  If a particular shell doesn't steam open it is a dud and should not be eaten.  But definitely twenty minutes is way too long.

Same idea as squid and octopus--overheating makes for "rubber band" consistency and is uneatable.

Hope this helps!  aroc3435

thanks for your help.....now...can you help with my covid crankiness?!

Honored Contributor

I once had octopus at Red Lobster, just like a rubber band.  Never dared try it again, and I love seafood.  Maybe they didn't cook it right?

Respected Contributor

@depglass   Definitely that restaurant overcooked it initially or reheated it, possibly "nuked" i.e. microwaved it.

@nana59 @dex I have no remedy for the coronavirus crabbiness.  Wish I did.   I just try to keep myself distracted.  

Sometimes putting on one of the Comcast music channels I like, such as jazz or classical helps soothe me.

Muddling through with all of you . . . aroc3435Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@nana59, how did things turn out? Was the clam meat any good?

What did your husband say? Smiley Happy

I love clams, as I'm from New England, but now that I'm living in a land locked state, am not a fan of any deemed as 'fresh'...or the frozen kind.

All those that I've tried have been thrown out. Yuck!

I now only trust and use Snow's Bumble Bee canned clams.

Muddling through...
Esteemed Contributor

@sabatini wrote:

@nana59, how did things turn out? Was the clam meat any good?

What did your husband say? Smiley Happy

I love clams, as I'm from New England, but now that I'm living in a land locked state, am not a fan of any deemed as 'fresh'...or the frozen kind.

All those that I've tried have been thrown out. Yuck!

I now only trust and use Snow's Bumble Bee canned clams.

it was absolutely awful...like eating a rubber band.....