Valued Contributor

Re: Fresh Asparagus Is My Favorite. What's Yours?

@Mindy D wrote:

@LavernLuvsShoes wrote:

I could eat Broccoli every day! - (Steamed, raw, roasted, grilled, etc.)

I also love Spinach, Cabbage & Kale.

And yes, I'm the weirdo who actually loves Okra too. Woman Very Happy

@LavernLuvsShoes @How do you prepare your kale? Is the fresh any different than the frozen? I'm trying to eat more kale. Do you ever steam it in the microwave?

I mostly steam it in the microwave with salt, pepper, and olive oil and then I sprinkle some freshy-shaved parmesan cheese on top.

I also make steamed cabbage once a week, and I toss a couple of handfuls of kale (fresh or frozen) in with it. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@frenchie wrote:

Love asparagus. Just had some on Friday at my favorite restaurant with baked haddock and mashed potatoes. Love squash, baby peas, eggplant, tomatoes. I'm making a stew today and since turnip is out of season, I'm using brussel sprouts. Yes I like turnip

@frenchie  I like turnips, but I can't eat them without thinking about my mom trying to sneak in mashed turnips with our mashed potatoes whenever we had fried rabbit. She insisted the two had to go together. I ate it, but my brother refused to eat it, and supper always ended in a standoffSmiley LOL

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

We drove out to Lancaster yesterday and hit up several farm stands. Nearly all had fresh asparagus. Not inexpensive, but so delicious. When I was growing up, we had a large asparagus bed. I remember going out every week in early Spring and looking for first signs of the spears. There is nothing like fresh-cut asparagus. I roasted these at 400 degrees for about 12 minutes (they were medium thickness). Probably my favorite vegetable. Do you have a favorite spring veggie?

@PA Mom-mom 

We always had a garden and one year there was a HUGE abundance of asparagus. 

My mom cleaned them and then parboiled them in boiling water for about 4 minutes in a large frying pan. 

At 4 minutes she'd scoop them out and throw them in a sheet tray of cold water then drain. 

She'd then place them loosely on a cookie sheet  with foil on it, and place them in the freezer. 

An hour later, when they were frozen, she'd wrap a dinner size batch at a time, and put in the large freezer. 

Months later, they honestly tasted like the day they were picked.  Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@PA Mom-mom 

We always had a garden and one year there was a HUGE abundance of asparagus. 

My mom cleaned them and then parboiled them in boiling water for about 4 minutes in a large frying pan. 

At 4 minutes she'd scoop them out and throw them in a sheet tray of cold water then drain. 

She'd then place them loosely on a cookie sheet  with foil on it, and place them in the freezer. 

An hour later, when they were frozen, she'd wrap a dinner size batch at a time, and put in the large freezer. 

Months later, they honestly tasted like the day they were picked.  Woman Happy

@Tinkrbl44  WOW! Your mom sure knew what she was doing. I'm sure they were delicious!

Esteemed Contributor

Brussell Sprouts  -   Loved them blackened either sauteed or air-fried!