Honored Contributor

I came across this recipe- one of our favorites. It's different, but good, and the Gruyere makes it!

French Meatloaf

2 lbs. ground beef

2/3 c. dry bread crumbs

2/3 c. chopped shallots

2/3 c. Gruyere cheese

3Tbsp. Dijon mustard

1/3 c. milk

2 tsp. thyme

4 eggs, hard boiled

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients. Pack 1/2 of the meatloaf mixture into a large greased loaf pan. Lay down the hard boiled eggs on top in a row lengthwise, end to end. Cover with remaining meatloaf mixture so eggs are completely covered. Bake uncovered 20 minutes. Spread 2 more Tbsp. Dijon mustard on top and bake an additional 25 minutes until done.
Respected Contributor

@beach-mom 

It sounds delicious. I'm the only one who would eat meatloaf in my house, so I wouldn't make it. I would be willing to come over when you make it! 😊 

Honored Contributor

@KBEANS wrote:

@beach-mom 

It sounds delicious. I'm the only one who would eat meatloaf in my house, so I wouldn't make it. I would be willing to come over when you make it! 😊 

@KBEANS - I know what you mean about fussy eaters! If you lived near me I'd drop one off for you!   Smiley Wink

Valued Contributor

I'm a vegetarian, but everyone else in the house eats meat and especially loves meatloaf. I'm excited to surprise them with a new recipie. Thank you for sharing!

Esteemed Contributor

This sounds good @beach-mom. Thanks for sharing 😊

I'm going to try to make it this week. 

Esteemed Contributor

C'est une recette très intéressante. In other words, very interesting. I've never seen meat loaf served in France but I've sampled delicious dishes that contained chopped meat. I may just try this one. Merci beaucoup!

Honored Contributor

@Mellyg , @wildcat fan , and @Vivian - You are all so welcome! I'm making it for dinner tomorrow night. @Vivian - De rien! I don't remember seeing meatloaf when I studied in France either, but I was at the University of Grenoble, and I ate a lot of Gruyere!  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

love gryeyere cheese 

will definitly try it soon

thanks @beach-mom 

Esteemed Contributor

Just want to make sure I understand...the eggs are placed on top of 1/2 the mixture--lengthwise and without slicing them?

Honored Contributor

@Yahooey - YW!

@wildcat fan - Yes. They will be covered by the top portion of the meat loaf mixture.  Smiley Happy