Valued Contributor

French Hot Chocolate

[ Edited ]

Ingredients

• 4.5 cups whole milk
    • 1.5 cup heavy cream
    • 6 teaspoons powdered sugar
    • 1.5 teaspoon espresso powder, optional, but delicious for intensifying chocolate flavor
    • 24 ounces bittersweet chocolate, at least 70%, chopped*
    • Giant bowl of whipped cream for serving

Instructions

• In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the whole milk, heavy cream, powdered sugar, and espresso powder until small bubbles appear around the edges. Do not allow the mixture to boil.
  • Remove from saucepan from the heat and stir in the chopped chocolate until melted, returning the sauce to low heat if needed for the chocolate to melt completely. Serve warm, topped with lots of whipped cream.
Notes

• *Choose the best quality chocolate you can, as the flavor really carries the drink. I love Guittard for a splurge, Ghirardelli, or Godiva, but the Trader Joe's Pound Plus 72% bar is quite good too. I do not recommend chocolate chips, as they contain stabilizers and do not melt as well.
  • Leftover French hot chocolate can be cooled to room temperature, then refrigerated in an airtight container (empty mason or jam jars work particularly well). Reheat gently the in the microwave or in a saucepan over low heat.

**Heavy cream may be substituted for whole milk if desired 

Valued Contributor

B00036BB-E298-4669-A97B-7DDD97566DB2.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't seen anything at starbucks that looks that good. YUM!

Esteemed Contributor

Decadent but looks and sounds so good.  I saved the recipe. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Wow, it looks and sounds like out of this world.

I have to hide this recipe where I can't find it ...lol

Honored Contributor

ooooh and awwww---looks and sounds heavenly---but the coffee would send me to the ER ----am allergic to it.

Super Contributor

@Reconnaissant  Thanks for posting.  I always tell my husband THIS is what hot chocolate is supposed to taste like not like we have here in the U.S. with the weak watery hot chocolate.  When we were traveling to Paris our joke was we wanted to stop at every place to try their hot chocolate.  With the hot chocolate being so delicious and strong, no wonder I was wide awake the entire trip.  LOL!  

Valued Contributor

@Mumof2 

Do you make the French hot chocolate?

Respected Contributor

Re: French Hot Chocolate

[ Edited ]

How many cups does this recipe make?   6?

Valued Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

How many cups does this recipe make?   6?

@Bridgegal 

Yes 6 cups. Leftovers can be refrigerated though