Respected Contributor

Freezing cookie dough question

I have to make 13 dozen cookies for a cookie exchange and I am using boxed cake mix to make the cookies to save time and aggravation. 

I have never done this before.  

Can I freeze this type of dough?  I always freeze traditional cookie dough with no problems.

But I am unfamiliar with this type of dough.

Honored Contributor

Re: Freezing cookie dough question

[ Edited ]

@Abrowneyegirl

I found the below instructions by Googling the question:

Instructions:

1. Prepare dough per instructions on your favorite Cake Mix Cookie Recipe.
  2. Allow dough to chill in refrigerator for approx. 1 hour.
  3. Roll dough into balls, and place on cookie sheet.  {you can squeeze in quite a few, as you won’t need to leave room for them to spread}.
  4. Place cookie sheet in freezer for at least 1 hour, or until cookie dough balls have frozen.
  5. Carefully pop frozen cookie dough balls off of cookie sheet, and place in freezer ziploc bag.
  6. When ready to bake… place frozen cookie dough balls on cookie sheet {allowing room for cookies to spread when baking}, and set aside… allowing them to come to room temperature. {approx. 15 minutes}
  7. Once they have thawed, bake as normal per original Cake Mix Cookie recipe instructions.  As a reminder, you may want to write on the bag the date they were frozen, the temperature to bake at, and the length of baking time.  ENJOY!
Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl

I free scratch cookie dough all the time with no issues (I just put it in a ball or a log, wrap it with freezer paper and put it in a ziplock (I also have a Food Saver if I'm storing it longer term).

A box mix should not be much different (if anything it has more preservatives and shelf stable ingredients) so there should be no issue with freezing these.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@Sassy7356 thank you.  Due to amount of cookies, I will do an abbreviated verious of what you posted.  I will cut the balls apart if I have to. I like the idea of pre-rolling the balls before bagging and freezing, then I will be able to confirm my count.

@VaBelle35  Any time I make cookies I always make a second batch to freeze.  Twice the cookies, once the mess/clean up.