Frequent Contributor

Freezing Cookie Dough or Cookies

I have always waited to make cookies until just before Christmas thinking that they would be better and fresher, but I know that many people make them ahead and freeze the dough or the cookies and they are great when served. 

So I am looking for any tips to use when freezing such as containers to use and maybe even dough or cookies that would freeze the best.  

I know a lot of you out there do this so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Honored Contributor

Re: Freezing Cookie Dough or Cookies

Before I discovered Keeblers SOFT chocolate chip cookies.....

I used my Food Saver & the bags to freeze cookie dough months on end. 

I have never frozen actual cookies.  I do keep fresly baked cookies in my air lock OXO containers.  Cookies do stay fresh & soft for weeks - 3 months at a time.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

I always mix the dough, form the cookies and freeze.  Depending on how long I often just toss in a lock and lock for drop cookies or between layers of parchment if cut cookies.  I then freeze until ready to use.  Mine are never in the freezer more than a couple of months.  I just have to add a minute or two to the baking.  We always have fresh cookies and it makes it alot easier if you want to bake alot as you can mix up when you have the time or inclination.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rygimom

Glad you asked this question.  I am also interested in reading the replies.   

I have frozen cookies before (for weddings), but am not always pleased with the results after thawing.  My decorated sugar cookies didn't maintain their crispness and got soggy when thawed.  That also seemed to be case with another cookie I made that has a small amount of fruit filling.

I do think some cookies freeze/thaw better than others.  I've seen some of my elders go to great lengths in the packaging, so that must be a real important detail of the process. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well as far as Christmas cookies, growing up my mom frozen them, cooked and decorated in tupperware between layers of wax paper. They never suffered, but we didn't do ones with fruit fillings. 

The only cookie dough I've frozen was chocolate chip and that wasn't for Christmas ( I don't do CCC for Christmas). It's nice to have those already rolled into balled and frozen on a sheet pan so they freeze individually and then transfer to a ziplock bag to cook a couple at a time as desired. I wouldn't bother doing that for Christmas cookies. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Contributor

I bake and decorate them, put them in a cookie tin and freeze. I've never had any problem with them once they're thawed. Probably have four batches in the freezer right now. I like to make a variety so spreading it out and freezing is the way to go.

Honored Contributor

I feel, that after a lifetime of baking and freezing, including Christmas cookies, there are several variables to consider.

First is the cookie recipe itself. I know everything we bake, is actually better after frozen. Think about the way a homemade soup or sauce is better the second day, when things have had time to meld together. The only way to know for sure if the type of cookie and recipe you are using will freeze well is, plain and simple, to do it and see if the results suit you.

Second is the freezer. Using a deep freeze produces much better results than the one attached to the fridge. There is a more constant temperature and no interference from the fridge, from repeated opening and closing etc.

Containers are everything. I grew up using metal tins. They can be found for next to nothing, in like new condition at thrifts stores (most around here are between 25 and 50 cents each). Layering very cooled cookies (and if iced let them dry on the counter uncovered for 8 hours) with wax paper, careful not to crowd them. Many of the older tins from the 1980's or before have tighter lids than some new on the market today.

I have used lock and lock, and they work fine, but I like the tins better, as I feel they prevent ice crystals better. I think the lock and lock traps moisture inside, where as the tin's lid doens't fit as tightly, and moisture can escape (not sure if this is actual science here, but just my observation from doing both).

I used to use some old Tupperware back in the day, with good results for short term (a month or two) as well, and again, I think because they don't really seal as completely as the lock and lock.

In tins, in the deep freeze, we have kept regular cookies like chocolate chip, peanut butter etc, for up to six month. Same for all my traditional Christmas cookies and candy as well.

Honored Contributor

I think depends on the kind of cookies you like.  We all like crisp cookies and they do not seem to work.  I have frozen the dough though to bake fresh and that works.  

Respected Contributor

Thank you all.  Must be something about those cookie tins as I remember that is how my Mom packed up her decorated cookies.  Luckily I have some of them.  

For the OP, cookies I have made that freeze well are mexican/russian tea cakes, thumb prints, chergies (a slovak fried cookie) and I also made and freeze nut and poppy seed rolls.

Honored Contributor

Everything we bake is not better the next day IMO. Especially not baked goods. Bread, rolls, cookies, pie crust, pastry like eclairs. None of those benefit from aging a day. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval