Esteemed Contributor

Re: Forever in search of the perfect chocolate cake batter recipe.

This really is easy. Throw in the ingredients in the order of the recipe.

Mom made 2 layers; I make these in cupcakes.

Batter is thin. (I only use 1 1/2 C sugar, throw in flavoring --vanilla & almond extract-- bake cupcakes for 22 min. and frost w/ butter cream chocolate or white frosting.)

Easy Chocolate Cake

2 C sugar

2 C flour

½ C cocoa

2 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. baking powder

1 C milk

1 C salad oil (3/4 C works better)

1 C boiling coffee

2 eggs (3 if small)

350 degrees

Honored Contributor

@mustang66lady

Yes! I know her blog! I have pinned a few of her recipes.  I made the eggnog cake at holiday time, the cupcake version, and my friends are still talking about it. I'll have to revisit it and see what she's got baking for Easter.

I started this thread right after baking a very disappointing chocolate cake, so I haven't tried another yet. The first one I'm going to try is the one on the Hershey's can, because I can't believe it's been in front of my face all this time and I never noticed it.

I had no time to bake last week and I was out to dinner with my girlfriends one night when i got a text from DH saying, "There are no baked goods in this house!", lol, he's not used to that.  I thought of bringing him dessert from the restaurant then decided I could get something better at the grocery store so I stopped and bought him three different things. It sounded like a good idea at the time, and he was happy with the variety, but now it's Saturday and I have no reason to bake....... what was I thinking?!

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat

I'm so glad you know about her blog.  She seems to be a very sweet person and is now doing a lot of video tutorials on how to decorate cakes.  She is also good about answering questions, too. 

Your DH is going love whatever you bake him, I'm sure.  Have fun looking thru Linday's blog!

Esteemed Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

This really is easy. Throw in the ingredients in the order of the recipe.

Mom made 2 layers; I make these in cupcakes.

Batter is thin. (I only use 1 1/2 C sugar, throw in flavoring --vanilla & almond extract-- bake cupcakes for 22 min. and frost w/ butter cream chocolate or white frosting.)

Easy Chocolate Cake

2 C sugar

2 C flour

½ C cocoa

2 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. baking powder

1 C milk

1 C salad oil (3/4 C works better)

1 C boiling coffee

2 eggs (3 if small)

350 degrees

Barefoot Contessa always puts coffee in chocolate recipes @Harpa. Says it doesnt' make it taste like coffee but makes chocolate taste more like chocolate. 

I am not crazy about chocolate like my husband used to be but there are a lot of great recipes here. Never tried the Hershey one. Duh, I don't know why. I like testing different cake recipes.

I thought i would put up a food blog. I have only tried 3 recipes here but they turned out to be the BEST and I have added all to my permanent collection. Her pumpkin bread is the best I have ever had. Here you go if you would like to take a look OP. http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@Sammijo10 wrote:

I have to add my recommendation to the Hershey's recipe with the small change of using hot coffee for the boiling water.  It doesn't add coffee flavor, but makes the chocolate taste more chocolate-ty.

After many years of trying all sorts of fancy recipes for the supposedly 'best' chocolate cake, I tasted the Hershey's cake made by my cousin at a family birthday. I was as suprised as you, House Cat. It had absolutely the best flavor and texture of any I'd struggled with, including ones from 'The Cake Bible' - my favorite cake cook book.  It's now the one I use most.  DH loves it.

Barefoot Contessa always says this!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@mustang66lady wrote:

@house_cat

I don't know if I am too late with this or not-if you made a cake for your DH, I'm sure he loved it no matter what recipe you used. 

Even if you have made your cake, you may want to take a look at the blog, Life, Love, and Sugar.  This young woman is so very talented.  We are more "pie" people here and rarely have cake for any celabration but Lindsay's creations are more than tempting.   She has all kinds of basic scratch recipes for cakes and then....what she does with them is enough to make you want to bite the screen of your computer-and this coming from someone who is rarely  tempted by cake! 

I am browsing her recipes now @mustang66lady and they look delicious!

JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@Irshgrl31201

I'm happy you are enjoying the recipes at Life, Love and Sugar.  I also get updates from Sally's Baking Addiction.  I guess why I am impressed with L,L, & S. is that we don't really care for cake but she is quite the temptress with her creations.  Even DH who likes very few sweets, is also tempted when I show him one of her cakes. 

Hope you have a peaceful weekend!

Esteemed Contributor

@mustang66lady wrote:

@Irshgrl31201

I'm happy you are enjoying the recipes at Life, Love and Sugar.  I also get updates from Sally's Baking Addiction.  I guess why I am impressed with L,L, & S. is that we don't really care for cake but she is quite the temptress with her creations.  Even DH who likes very few sweets, is also tempted when I show him one of her cakes. 

Hope you have a peaceful weekend!

She really decorates them so beautifully! You have a peaceful weekend too!

JFK
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I found another terrific chocolate cake recipe in my 'archives' yesterday.  It was cold and windy here in upstate NY and I wanted to bake something - chocolate is a requirement for DH - but he just had brownies and I wasn't into a whole two layer, frosting thing.  

I found a recipe in my stash for Nigella Lawson's 'Quadruple Chocolate Loaf Cake'.  It's like a super rich chocolate pound cake, but you throw everything into the food processor, blitz it (as the Brits say), and put it in a loaf pan.  I've tried to post a link, but the best I can do is put it here and you can copy and paste.  Give this one a try, it is decadent! ETA:  I guess my posting a link worked!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nigella-lawson/quadruple-chocolate-loaf-cake-recipe

Esteemed Contributor

After reading over this thread and viewing the Hershey Chocolate Cake Recipe, I noticed that Hershey has a newsletter, I thought what the heck and signed up for it, I received my first copy the other day, let us just say I have added 4 new recipes to my recipe book to make in the future, FYI!