Honored Contributor

Forever in search of the perfect chocolate cake batter recipe.

Every birthday my husband requests a devil's food layer cake.  For years I used the DH or BC box mixes, which he loves.

I prefer baking from scratch, but I've yet to find a recipe that is chocolately rich and moist but still fluffy.

If you have a favorite dark chocolate cake recipe to share, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Super Contributor

Re: Forever in search of the perfect chocolate cake batter recipe.

I always use the recipe on the Hershey coco can. It's easy, always gets raves! I make the chocolate frosting recipe that goes along with it. They can both be found on the back of the can. They are called "perfecty chocolate " and they are.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I find the one on the can of hershey cocca the best. The icing is good also.

Trusted Contributor

@Mermaid22.  We must have posted at the same time.  It is the best.

Esteemed Contributor

My hubby is a chocolate lover too, and I was also going to suggest the recipe on the Hershey's can.

https://www.hersheys.com/recipes/en_US/recipes/184/hersheys-perfectly-chocolate-chocolate-cake.html

Honored Contributor

@wildcat fanthat cake looks real good and not diiicult.

Honored Contributor

BOY DO I FEEL STUPID!

I've had that can in my pantry for 40 years... well, not the same can, but you know what I mean.  Why have I never noticed that?  Omg.

Thanks for the slap upside the head...

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

I just discovered the Hershey's recipe myself not too long ago.  One thing I just noticed when I copied the recipe link was a reviewer's suggestion to add chocolate chips to the bottom layer while it's still hot before frosting.  I'm going to try that next time because for my DH the more chocolate the better.  

Trusted Contributor

I have to add my recommendation to the Hershey's recipe with the small change of using hot coffee for the boiling water.  It doesn't add coffee flavor, but makes the chocolate taste more chocolate-ty.

After many years of trying all sorts of fancy recipes for the supposedly 'best' chocolate cake, I tasted the Hershey's cake made by my cousin at a family birthday. I was as suprised as you, House Cat. It had absolutely the best flavor and texture of any I'd struggled with, including ones from 'The Cake Bible' - my favorite cake cook book.  It's now the one I use most.  DH loves it.

Honored Contributor

@Sammijo10

That's a great suggestion. I often use coffee or instant espresso in my chocolate recipes.  I can't wait to try this recipe.

~ house cat ~