Honored Contributor

Re: For those of you who bake/roast your own turkey

I get the smallest one I can find, less than 10 lbs and cook it in a covered roaster.

For our work potluck last week, the caterer who cooked our turkeys for us put cinnamon sticks inside.  I saw lemons, onions and cinnamon sticks.  I don't know if there were apples and cloves in there, I guess I should email her and ask her.

I had some of the turkey and didn't taste/smell cinnamon, it must have just been very subtle.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
New Contributor

Do you not  add any sage or poultry seasoing?

Super Contributor

I have never used the bag, but sounds like a lot of you do, with good results. May have to try it. I do use sage and poultry seasoning in my dressing.

Respected Contributor

Have always (since 1970s) used a cook'n bag. Perfect every time. Moist, browned, easy.

Trusted Contributor

For the past few years I would either roast a smaller turkey breast or we would eat one of the supermarket's catered holiday meals.

This year I'm roasting a smaller, boneless turkey breast for my husband and me, along with making some simple side dishes. 

For the times when I would roast a whole turkey, I would follow the cooking direction's from Butterball's Turkey website. The turkey turned out great each time.

I would roast it at 325 degrees. I would just lightly oil the skin with cooking oil, and then lightly season it with a slight amount of salt and pepper.

I would roast it uncovered in a large roasting pan until a nice golden brown color, and then would tent it with foil and finish roasting it until done.

Respected Contributor

I also use the cooking bag. I mix softened butter with sage, rosemary, and thyme. add Bell's Poultry Seasoning( a must at our house)  s&p and rub inside and outside of the bird. We also always stuff the cavity with sausage and chestnut stuffing!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Frequent Contributor

Years ago, made the "mistake" of roasting the turkey breast side down.  Turned out great!  We do put stuffing into the turkey before roasting.   Used the Betty Crocker recipe  -  which includes butter  --  which helps to keep the turkey breast moist.  We put a very small amount of water into the bottom of the pan at the start of the baking and cover.    During the last hour or so we take the cover off of the pan so the turkey browns up a bit.  This method has worked for us  for decades.   Yes, is a bit of a challenge to get the turkey out of the pan and breast side up for carving, but it works out.   Various "turkey lifters"  help in the process.   Have a wonderful Thanksgiving sharing with family and friends.