Super Contributor

For those of you who bake/roast your own turkey

Do you bake in a covered roaster? or uncovered? What seasonings do you use? I leave a stick of butter out overnight to soften, then add parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme to the butter, and rub it under the skin as far as possible, then use the rest on the outside of bird. Last few years, have been roasting uncovered till brown, then tent it. I love new ideas, though. I always bake mine on Tuesday before Thanksgiving, cool and slice it, put in a serving dish, and refrigerate. Then on Thanksgiving, I just heat it through.

Respected Contributor

Re: For those of you who bake/roast your own turkey

My MIL has always placed a giant onion in the cavity "for flavor".  I have never noticed any different flavor from a turkey without the giant onion.  I think she does it because her mother did, and her grandmother did, and so on.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@nanny24

I do it like you. 

Also, I stuff it with Pepperidge Farm bread stuffing to make the turkey moist.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

I cook a breast in the slow-cooker.  Season the outside with salt and pepper.

Trusted Contributor

@nanny24

I always use a turkey bag. It cooks up faster, browns nicely & is moist without basting. The turkey bag has never failed me. Plus clean-up is pretty easy too.

Honored Contributor

I stuff my bird then rub the skin with a little oil, and salt and pepper,  I roast mine in a aluminum roaster pan with the lid on.  

When you use an aluminum roaster, you won’t need to add any water to the pan. My bird does not dry out at all.  I remove the lid for the last 20-30 minutes to brown the skin, then take it out and let it rest while I collect the juices and make the gray.

My stuffing mixture adds a lot of flavor to the bird.

I saute parsley, onion and celery in butter,  in a bowl I add eggs and milk, salt and pepper to my bread cubes and moisten them well.  Then I add the bread mixture to the pan with the onions and celery with more butter and fry it until it is golden brown.  When cool, I stuff the bird.

Trusted Contributor

@Tribesters wrote:

@nanny24

I always use a turkey bag. It cooks up faster, browns nicely & is moist without basting. The turkey bag has never failed me. Plus clean-up is pretty easy too.

Reynolds-brand Turkey cooking bag 🦃too 👍🏼

I cook a 21-23lb turkey which I also stuff. It cooks and browns beautifully, no basting needed and as @Tribesters mentioned ---never fails❣️Seasoned with salt and pepper, place it in the oven and baked according to directions (and until I see the thermometer popped up). Moist and delicious, plenty of juices to make a pan gravy if wanted. It really is as easy as it gets. Good luck, it's my favorite holiday.

Just about the food, family (and /or friend) time. 

⚓️
Honored Contributor

My turkey is always moist, even when cold.  I use a bag, stuff, and bake on 325, not 350.

For seasoning, I rub the cavity and outside of the turkey with melted butter.   I don't use store brands of butter because the flavor is very weak.

Then I use poultry seasoning, marjorum, and celery inside and out.

If a gathering is held and turkey is needed, I'm usually told "we want yours!".

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

My MIL has always placed a giant onion in the cavity "for flavor".  I have never noticed any different flavor from a turkey without the giant onion.  I think she does it because her mother did, and her grandmother did, and so on.

I cook mine in a roasting bag with nothing else but the turkey and stuffing. 

Respected Contributor

Brine the turkey first for 12 hours or so, then use the Reynolds turkey bag, consistently excellent.