Super Contributor

Food fads come and go

[ Edited ]

Bran, buttermilk, brown sugar, vegetable oil, egg, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, & lots of raisins. Do you remember these classic ingredients which made up those infamously dry bran muffins from the 1970's? Unprocessed bran--I think it's the first miracle food fad that was supposed to cure everything I can remember. What are some of the cure-all food fads you remember?

Honored Contributor

Kale.

Regular Contributor

Anyone remember Snackwell's? Ironic.

Screenshot 2022-07-24 075612.png

Honored Contributor

@SweetKitties I never ate a bran muffin until the 90's and I got them from a local bakery. They were moist and good. Haven't had one since.

@deepwaterdotter You could't pay me to eat kale. Never understood the big deal. Lots of other greens that I do like.

Super Contributor

Re: Food fads come and go

[ Edited ]

Love my grandkids, You're lucky you missed the homemade 1970's version. They were dry & dense. They often used whole wheat flour, which made them even heavier. I guess their redeeming value is you could use them like rocks on intruders. I know I'm over reacting. It Sunday & it's all in fun.

Super Contributor

deepwaterdotter, Yes the new miracle food. I suppose someday they'll say kale is unhealthy. Like eggs & coffee. First it's healthy, then it's not. Back & forth they go.

Respected Contributor

Re: Food fads come and go

[ Edited ]

The chewy candy square that was supposed to help you keep your appetite under control and therefore aid you in losing weight.  They were called Ayds.  Bad timing, soon came along the tragic AIDS virus. That caused the end of that diet chew.

See the source image

Respected Contributor

Acai berry

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Trusted Contributor

Oat bran (subvariant of bran), cabbage soup, Atkins diet, Metrecal

Trusted Contributor

Ayds was released in 1941

@PhilaLady1 wrote:

The chewy candy square that was supposed to help you keep your appetite under control and therefore aid you in losing weight.  They were called Ayds.  Bad timing, soon came along the tragic AIDS virus. That caused the end of that diet chew.

See the source image

It was sold for forty years before the AIDS epidemic. Even in 1941, the diet industry was snowing people on "miracle" products.

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag