Honored Contributor

going to a cookie party hosted by my niece this evening

requirement - 4 dozen of 1 type of cookie

30 guests were invited

1 or 2 bottles of wine to go with the lasagna for dinner

i chose to make a Florentine cookie and all my other doughs for holiday baking is resting in the fridge - Mexican Wedding Cookies, Snickerdoodles, Macadamia nut, cranberry and white chocolate cookie and of course florentines

anyone going to a cookie party? what are you making?

Screen Shot 2022-12-18 at 5.47.59 AM.png

8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
2 3/4 ounces (1/2 cup) blanched almonds
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 cup sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons finely chopped candied orange peel
1 tablespoon strained orange juice
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped 1 drop orange oil

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line baking sheets with Silpats or parchment paper; set aside. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Set aside to cool.
  2. Place almonds in food processor, and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add oats, and pulse until finely chopped, but not ground to a powder.
  3. In a medium bowl, add melted butter, sugar, almond mixture, egg, candied orange peel, orange juice, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Stir to combine.
  4. Drop batter onto prepared baking sheets 1 teaspoon at a time, about 2 inches apart.
  5. Bake until brown around edges and lighter in the center, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer entire Silpat or parchment paper to wire rack to cool completely.
  6. In a heat-proof bowl or the top of a double boiler set over a pan of simmering water, melt chocolate. Remove from heat, and allow to cool. Stir in orange oil.
  7. Arrange cookies bottom side up on a baking sheet. Use a small offset spatula to spread about
    1 teaspoon of chocolate on each inverted cookie. Sandwich cookies, chocolate sides together, and serve. Finished cookies can be stored between sheets of parchment paper in an airtight container for up to 1 week. 

Honored Contributor

I have never been to a cookie party and don't know anyone who has or hosted one 

Honored Contributor

@Yahooey    You're very ambitious.  At the height if my cookie-making career, I would have found those Florentine Cookies too much trouble, especially for a gang.  They sound delicious.  I'd keep and savor each one.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Yahooey 

Im impressed mine never look that perfect! Good job!

Enjoy your cookie party.  We miss these past few years doing them.

Merry Christmas🎄🍪

Esteemed Contributor

@Yahooey 

Those are spectacular looking cookies. Thank you for sharing.

I do participate in a neighborhood cookie/sweet good event. We have them a couple of times a year and use as fund raising events. We charge a lot for our baked goodies and your cookies would make a fortune!

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

They look yummy.  I have my SIL's recipe for Florentine Cookies which calls for heavy cream, flour instead of rolled oats, and no egg.  I have never made them, but find your variation interesting.