Honored Contributor

Flank steak vs. London broil

I love Mongolian beef so much, I would like to prepare it at home.   It's really very simple.   The recipes I've seen call for flank steak, but my local grocery store carries london broil in the deli section & they can slice it super thin for me.   

Do you think I could try it?

Respected Contributor

Re: Flank steak vs. London broil

My aunt used to make the best London Broil and she used flank steak marinated in apple juice and soy sauce.  I don know how the deli makes their London Broil but if it were similar I think it would work for making Mongolian Beef. 

Respected Contributor

@software, chances are good your store is labeling flank steak as London Broil.  (They might be charging extra for it, too.)  This is a pet peeve of mine. There is no such cut of beef as London Broil. It is a marketing ploy.  London Broil is a cooking technique--overnight marinating, quick cooking and cutting across the grain. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

You make London Broil by using flank steak so it's essentially the same thing.  It's a very tough cut of meat so needs to be marinated or cooked in a pressure cooker. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@software, chances are good your store is labeling flank steak as London Broil.  (They might be charging extra for it, too.)  This is a pet peeve of mine. There is no such cut of beef as London Broil. It is a marketing ploy.  London Broil is a cooking technique--overnight marinating, quick cooking and cutting across the grain. 

It's coming out of the deli, so it's basically already cooked, rare actually

It may have started out as flank steak.

I'll do some checking, thanks

Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

@IamMrsG wrote:

When you said, they had it in the deli, I wondered about that.  BTW, flank steak should be rare.  So, how are you planning to convert cooked (and previously seasoned) beef to use in your recipe?  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

@software  After looking at a recipe on food.com for "P F Chang's Mongolian Beef" I definitely think it would work.  They cooked the flank steak slices separately from the sauce and then mixed the two together. 

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@software wrote:

@IamMrsG wrote:

When you said, they had it in the deli, I wondered about that.  BTW, flank steak should be rare.  So, how are you planning to convert cooked (and previously seasoned) beef to use in your recipe?  

It's going to be an experiment!

It might work better if I use those thin "minute steaks"

I'm trying to avoid slicing the raw meat myself, I just don't think it's worth the trouble.

Honored Contributor

@software  You can easily slice raw meat very thin by freezing it first.  It should be about half thawed when you cut it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment