Esteemed Contributor

As @Sooner  stated Bob' red mill ground flaxseeds are the best.  I use them in baking as well as in oatmeal .  They are very healthy for you and the ground ones are actually the best to use, as the whole seeds may not break down in the body and get absorbed.  They end up leaving through the back door, if you what I mean!  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

I buy whole flax seeds in bulk in Lancaster, PA. Then, I keep them in the freezer to keep them from going bad (they are oily). I have a Kuhn Rikon hand grinder filled with flax seeds in the freezer. I grind a teaspoonful into my steel cut oats  for breakfast. I usually try to do this every other day. Someone told me that the freshly ground are the best for you, but I don't know if it is true. Can't hurt, I guess.

Respected Contributor

I use the ground flax on cereal and yogurt Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor
Thanks everyone
Honored Contributor

Re: Flack seeds

[ Edited ]

@springers   

The best way to take flax seeds and most seeds is to make sure they are SPROUTED flax seeds  etc... sprouting them removes an enzyme that naturally occurs with many seeds inhibiting their digestion in the gut.   You buy them with this process done to them.   I buy my flax seeds ground and sprouted. Just google that in your search engine. Several brands are available. You will pay a bit more but it is a better way to take the seed.

Benefits of sprouted grains

Sprouted grains are whole-grain seeds that have just begun to grow and aren't quite plants yet. Inside the seed's outer shell (the bran), the plant embryo (the germ) relies on the seed's endosperm — the starchy food supply — to fuel its growth. "This germinating process breaks down some of the starch, which makes the percentage of nutrients higher. It also breaks down phytate, a form of phytic acid that normally decreases absorption of vitamins and minerals in the body. So sprouted grains have more available nutrients than mature grains,"

Those nutrients include folate, iron, vitamin C, zinc, magnesium, and protein.

Another benefit: because the germinating process breaks down some of the starchy endosperm, sprouted grains may have less starch and be easier to digest than regular grains. "It may help people who are sensitive to digesting grains," 

Respected Contributor

Re: Flack seeds

[ Edited ]

@springers wrote:
Do you buy online or health store / brand?

@springers You can find flax seed meal at the grocery store on the baking aisle near the flour.   I use Bob's Red Mill Whole Ground Flax Seed Meal in banana bread and in oatmeal:

fs1.jpg

Trusted Contributor
How about benefits of oil? Costco has capsules of oil?
Trusted Contributor

Flax seeds -- a great alternative for wheat germ for those allergic to wheat (me!).
It's so easy to incorporate ALL-READY GROUND FLAX SEEDS into yogurt, cereal, smoothies, muffins etc. (as other cooks on this board have already said.) 

TOASTING: TO YOUR HEALTH! Smiley Happy