Reply
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,981
Registered: ‎11-03-2013

@IamMrsG wrote:

@mtc  To me, there is only one tartar sauce, and it's Frisch's.

                                        Frisch's Original Tartar Sauce by Frisch's Tarter Sauce


Tee hee, @IamMrsG thanks so much for this . . . by the reviews, it is clearly a winner . . . now all I have to do is figure out whether I want to sell a body part to give it a try! . . . Smiley Happy

 

And trust me I'm thinking about it.  Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Super Contributor
Posts: 329
Registered: ‎01-04-2015

Re: Fish Sandwiches

[ Edited ]

 



@IamMrsG  The older I've become (and thank goodness for that), the more I've grown to like fish, especially during Lent.  Your recipes look great!  My family does enjoy fish of various sorts, on occasion.  Growing up, my mom always made a very simple tartar sauce, which I still prefer today over anything else I've seen (NO disrepsect to you and your post, however): eyeballing it, we use Miracle Whip (or MW Light), sweet pickle relish, and a smidgen of French's yellow mustard or a Dijon mustard.  Stir.  Enjoy.  :-)  I've not yet been so brave as to batter or bread and fry fish myself (though, I must try someday).  Just have bought already-battered or breaded fish, the best ones we could get.  Unfortunately, over the years, like with so many other products, the fish fillets have shrunk, while the prices haven't followed suit.  Thanks for the post.  Now I want some fish!  :-)

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,981
Registered: ‎11-03-2013

@Ruthie-Roo wrote:

 



@IamMrsG  The older I've become (and thank goodness for that), the more I've grown to like fish, especially during Lent.  Your recipes look great!  My family does enjoy fish of various sorts, on occasion.  Growing up, my mom always made a very simple tartar sauce, which I still prefer today over anything else I've seen (NO disrepsect to you and your post, however): eyeballing it, we use Miracle Whip (or MW Light), sweet pickle relish, and a smidgen of French's yellow mustard or a Dijon mustard.  Stir.  Enjoy.  :-)  I've not yet been so brave as to batter or bread and fry fish myself (though, I must try someday).  Just have bought already-battered or breaded fish, the best ones we could get.  Unfortunately, over the years, like with so many other products, the fish fillets have shrunk, while the prices haven't followed suit.  Thanks for the post.  Now I want some fish!  :-)


Tee hee @Ruthie-Roo if I can fry fish, you can too!  I took a run at it about a year ago when a great place by me had cod on sale and used a tempura batter mix (to be honest I looked like Lucy when she was at that chocolate factory) . . . it came out really nice but because it's just me it just wasn't cost effective plus I ended up with too much (which now that I think about it could be changed as I have an air fryer to revive said filets to their original glory).  I have gone back to buying frozen fried filets so tartar sauce has become very interesting to me.  Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Super Contributor
Posts: 329
Registered: ‎01-04-2015

mtc wrote:


Tee hee @Ruthie-Roo if I can fry fish, you can too!  I took a run at it about a year ago when a great place by me had cod on sale and used a tempura batter mix (to be honest I looked like Lucy when she was at that chocolate factory) . . . it came out really nice but because it's just me it just wasn't cost effective plus I ended up with too much (which now that I think about it could be changed as I have an air fryer to revive said filets to their original glory).  I have gone back to buying frozen fried filets so tartar sauce has become very interesting to me.  Smiley Happy


@mtc  Oh my goodness, that vision of Lucy (and Ethel) at the chocolate factory!  One of THE BEST shows, e-v-e-r.  :-)  Thanks for the memory.  Anywho, yeah, eventually, I will try frying fish, one way or another.  Will eventually get an air fryer, too, when the time is right.  

Highlighted
Super Contributor
Posts: 329
Registered: ‎01-04-2015


mtc wrote:

IamMrsG wrote:

@mtc  To me, there is only one tartar sauce, and it's Frisch's.

                                        Frisch's Original Tartar Sauce by Frisch's Tarter Sauce


Tee hee, @IamMrsG thanks so much for this . . . by the reviews, it is clearly a winner . . . now all I have to do is figure out whether I want to sell a body part to give it a try! . . . Smiley Happy

 

And trust me I'm thinking about it.  Smiley Happy


I looked online for this item.  Holy Tartar Sauce!!  That's a LOT of money for a 16-ounce jar.  But I guess it must be really good.  To each, their own.  Who am I to judge?  :-)

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 43,990
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@IamMrsG  FYI: Amazon.Com has Frisch's tartar sauce, but of course it's expensive to have it shipped to you. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,383
Registered: ‎06-29-2015

Re: Fish Sandwiches

[ Edited ]

Hello, @IamMrsG!! Your recipe sounds delicious, and much different than I'm used to!

 

I'm from New England where we do love fried cod, but never on rye. Woman Surprised LOL! We're pretty uninspired in the bread department. Just look at the typical lobster rolls which must be made on hot dog buns. Woman LOL

I think the rye bread might be a Midwest influence?

 

Also, the tartar sauce you'll find at any fish shack in NE will (generally) always be made with sweet relish, so that's the way I make it too. Just Hellman's mayo (Best Foods west of the Mississippi), lots of sweet relish, a dash of yellow mustard and a bit of onion powder.

 

There's really nothing like a fried fish dinner. Heart

 

Thanks again! XO

Muddling through...
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,512
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Well, my compliments to Mrs.G on the tarter sauce: her recipe elevates lowly tarter sauce to haute cuisine!  I love the idea of using capers, tobacco and tarragon-especially the tarragon! I never would have thought about that one!

Poodlepet2

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,247
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@IamMrsG

You spared nothing on this recipe! TY for sharing!

I agree w/ Poodlepet2 that your twists on tartar sauce is ooom-wah! (the Italian chef kiss)

 

(I can't help thinking about how the Lord served fish sandwiches to the 5,000!)