Honored Contributor

First time ever making chicken & dumplings

And I'm using a recipe that makes them in the crockpot. I have the chicken in the pot cooking now in a broth made from chicken breasts,  chicken broth, celery,onion carrots and cream of chicken soup.After this cooks for 5 hours you take out the chicken & shred it then stir it back in, and add frozen peas. Then roll out and cut the dumplings and add them , allow to cook for 45 to 60 min. longer, til the dumplings are throughly cooked. Seems like a very long time to cook dumplings to me.After all the broth they will be cooking in is going to be boiling. opinions?

Trusted Contributor

Re: First time ever making chicken & dumplings

Good for you!  Sounds delicious!

Fresh pasta usually cooks very quick.  Depending on thickness, it should cook between 5-9 minutes.

Take a pic if you can!  Would love to see the finished dish!

Esteemed Contributor

@151949  What are you making the dumplings out of?  My only concern is that they would soak up all the broth.  I don't think that sounds too long to cook, though.  You don't want them to be doughy.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

The recipe is from a Bisquick cookbook - so they are rolled biscuits that you slice into strips and place in the broth.

Honored Contributor

I just looked up David V. recipe for chicken & dumplings and he uses Bisquick drop biscuits - and only cooks them 20 min. which sounds more normal to me.

Respected Contributor

Dumplings are not pasta, and should not be wet, gluey masses.   A proper dumpling is light, almost biscuit-like.  To illustrate the point, here is a picture from Ree Drummond's recipe:

Chicken and Dumplings

Although she does not tell you in the recipe, to achieve this texture, the dough is not placed directly into the broth, rather onto the chicken pieces, above the broth.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@IamMrsG  I have been making recipes with dumplings all my life - being from German heritage - and ALWAYS you drop the dough into the boiling broth. The outside will be wet but the inside will be cooked and very fluffy.

Honored Contributor

@151949, I wish you luck, one of my favorite southern dishes, but have never been brave enough to make them!

Honored Contributor

@Hooty  As long as it isn't raw my DH will eat almost anything so that gives me lee way to experiment. This certainly smells good right now as it is cooking.

Honored Contributor

It takes longer to cook a whole chicken than chicken breasts.  Next time you could cook your skinned breasts/breasts and thighs, skim off the fat ahead of time and cut down time and calories tremendously.