Honored Contributor

Re: First pressure cooker meal - success!

On 9/19/2014 kachina624 said: The trouble with barbecued ribs is that the sauce gets too watered-down and doesn't even resemble what came out of the bottle. Does anyone have a solution for this?

The sauce in mine stays pretty thick. Maybe that's what the tomato paste is for? I might use a little more than it calls for, but I always put the water in the bottom. We've never had a problem with watery sauce; if we did, someone in my family would definitely let me know! {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Honored Contributor

KACHINA, IF YOU USE THE SAME AMOUNT OF WATER AS BEACH-MOM, 1/2 CUP, COULD YOU CUT THE WATER TO 1/4 CUP AND ADD A TSP. OF CORNSTARCH? CAN YOU ADD WARMED BARBQUE SAUCE AFTER YOU PRESSURE COOK? I HAVE NEVER TRIED A PRESSURE COOKER, AND I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO DO SO. HERE IS FLORIDA, SOME PLACES SELL THIS DELICIOUS DISH CALLED MOJO PORK. IT WOULD PROBABLY BE DELICIOUS IF MADE IN A PRESSURE COOKER.

Honored Contributor

I think probably adding the sauce after cooking the meat would be best. You have to have some water, usually about a cup, for the pressure cooker to create steam. The tomato paste probably helps. Thanks for your replies.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I've got my first ever pressure cooker meal in the pot right now. I'm making the Italian Pot Roast recipe from the Blue Jean Chef booklet included with the Cooks Essentials 6 qt electronic cooker that was the recent TSV.

As usual, I 'over-thought' setting up the darn thing and didn't have the exhaust/pressure valve in the correct position and the machine kept turning itself off on me. The darn instructions indicated that the knob should be set with 'airtight' lined up with the 'notch'. To me, a notch is a cut out. Well, the cut-out in the handle is in the exact opposite position from where it should have gone. The so-called 'notch' of the instructions is actually a very very tiny bump in the plastic housing! I kept backing up as I was afraid it was going to blow up the kitchen any minute. At least I know now that it turns itself off if everything is not in the correct position.

Rookie pressure cooker mistake! But, it's now happily on it's way.

Respected Contributor

Here's my solution so you don't get watered down BBQ sauce when doing ribs in the pressure cooker.

First I put the ribs up against the sides of the pressure cooker. Then I add 1/2 to 1 cup of one of the following: beer, apple cider, water, or broth. I pressure cook the ribs for 15 minutes... Then I remove the ribs and put them on a cookie sheet that has a rack on it so the ribs are raised. I brush on some BBQ sauce and put in a preheated oven (350 degrees) for 10 or 15 minutes until the BBQ sauce has glazed the ribs to a sticky perfection. Mmmmm!

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!