Trusted Contributor

Re: Few more may be coming for Thanksgiving

@cece5231,

Thank you for sharing this recipe again because I had missed it previously and I recognize you as a contributor here.  I plan to have this as part of Sunday's dinner.  I think it will be a grand slam in taste and colorful presentation!

Honored Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

@qualitygal.   Here is the Mr. Food Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe (note:  I use walnuts instead of pecans).

What You'll Need:

• 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened, divided
  • 1/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut (optional)
  • 2 (29-ounce) cans sweet potatoes, drained and mashed
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

What To Do:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 3-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
  3. In a medium bowl, combine pecans, brown sugar, flour, 1/4 cup butter, and the coconut, if desired; mix until crumbly, then set aside.
  5. In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients, including remaining butter; mix well. Spoon into casserole dish and sprinkle evenly with pecan mixture.
  7. Bake 45 to 50 minutes, or until bubbly and heated through.

This is a WONDERFUL, yummy recipe. I wanted to mention that I’ve found when I serve it that I can cut way back on the sugar(s) and it’s still just as good. I like your switch for the walnuts @qualitygal!

Honored Contributor

Great to see that so many cooks are serving roasted veggies. I always get a kick out of how many veggie haters will change their minds after a serving of a roasted veggie casserole.

Valued Contributor

Two recipes from Uncle Ben  Smiley Happy

I turn to Uncle Ben when I need a tasty, easy to make side dish.   On a busy thanksgiving day, I'll make the rice, early, put into a serving bowl and set aside.   Everything else gets prepped.  About an hour before dinner, I'll assign someone to toss it all together.  The beauty of these dishes is they are supposed to be eaten room temperature ( do not take up space in fridge or oven).

Wild Rice Salad With Cranberries and Hazelnuts

2 boxes UNCLE BEN’S® Long Grain & Wild Rice, Original Recipe
1/2 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon finely chopped shallots
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup roughly chopped toasted hazelnuts*
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
*To toast hazelnuts, preheat oven to 325°F. Spread hazelnuts on a cookie sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until slightly fragrant. Remove from oven and wrap hazelnuts in a dish towel. Rub the hazelnuts in the towel to remove the skins. Let nuts cool before chopping.
INSTRUCTIONS
Cook rice according to package instructions and cool.
While rice is cooking, whisk together the orange juice, vinegar, shallots, Dijon mustard and garlic. Slowly whisk in olive oil until blended.
Once rice is cool, stir in cranberries, hazelnuts, apricots and parsley. Pour vinaigrette into rice salad and toss to coat. Serve at room temperature

Recipe #2:

Wild Rice Salad with Cranberries and Pecans Recipe

Serves 4 to 6
Prep the ingredients and make the dressing while the rice is cooking.
Ingredients
1 cup brown rice wild rice mix ( I use Uncle Ben's)
2 1/3 cups water 
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup chopped pecans (I toast in dry fry pan until they smell good)
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
Salt and freshly ground pepper

1 Make the rice:
Bring rice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and water to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 50 minutes. Do not stir. Do not uncover.
Remove from stove and let sit, covered for 10 minutes.
Then uncover, fluff up with a fork, and let cool to almost room temperature.
2 In a medium sized serving bowl, mix the rice, cranberries, pecans, and green onions together.

3 Make the dressing: In a separate jar, mix the lemon juice, olive oil, orange peel, and salt and pepper to taste.
Just before serving, mix dressing in with the rice mixture. Serve warm, chilled, or room temperature.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Terrific responses to this thread.  So glad you asked, OP!

Trusted Contributor

@walker

Am I understanding your recipe correctly in not needing to thaw the corn before putting it in the slow cooker?  I love these 'dump all ingredients in the slow cooker' kind of recipes!!  TIA for your reply.

Honored Contributor

Hi vabreeze......yes, that is how the recipe is written....no mention of thawing first.  I may have let packages sit out a few minutes as I got things ready.  Open package and dump in crock pot!  You need 'quick and easy' recipes for some things at holiday time!

Respected Contributor

This one is very nice. I did a dinner party with cornish hens and this recipe from Respectlife.

Respectlife

Re: What makes your stuffing special...

‎11-14-2016 11:12 AM

Mine does NOT use any bread, cornbread or croutons.  I found this recipe in a newspaper a million yrs. ago and it is requested every year.  No one wants the crouton stuffing anymore.

WILD RICE CHERRY STUFFING

¾ c wild rice (The long black rice, that doesn’t look like rice! I use Haddad House found in the rice section)

1 T olive oil

1 lb pork sausage (I use Bob Evans Regular, you can use Sage if desired)

2 c chopped onions  (or less)

Chopped celery

½ c Fennel Seeds (I use whole)

½ lb Shiitake, white, baby bella, or cremini mushrooms quartered (or a combo of mushrooms

1 bay leaf

¾ t salt

½ t freshly ground pepper

½ c fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped

½ c dried cherries or dried cranberries (I use more, sometimes a combo but mostly dried cherries. I have also used Craisins, dried oranges and dried blueberries!)

½ c white, brown or wild long-grain rice, cooked according to directions (I use easy Unc Ben in the pouch)

½ c slivered almonds

May add some chix. broth if needed

Cook black wild rice according to instructions on pkg. just until tender but still has a slight crunch, approx. 40-50 mins.

Remove from heat and cool to room temp.

Heat oil in large skillet.

Add sausage and cook, breaking up w/ a spoon, 5 – 8 mins. till no longer pink.

Add onions, fennel, mushrooms, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Cook till vegs soften approx. 5 mins.

Add parsley and cherries, cook 2 mins. Remove from heat.

Add brown/long-grain rice and almonds

This is not a traditional bread/crouton stuffing.  If you wanted to, you could add some crushed croutons to 'bind' it or make it more 'stuffable'.

Delicious stuffed in the bird.  Excellent side dish as well.

Honored Contributor

@walker wrote:

When it comes to holiday cooking and extra guests, I bring out the crock pot and even borrow another to use.    I do make ahead potatoes and reheat in crock pot.  I also fixed the following recipe one year as a side.  Taste of Home Best Church Supper Recipe Book has several good recipes.

CHEESY CREAMED CORN

3 packages (16 oz each) frozen corn

2 packages cream cheese, cubed (one 8 oz, one 3 oz....if you can find otherwise cut from 8 oz pkg)

1/4 cup butter, cubed

3 tablespoons water

3 tablespoons milk

2 tablespoons sugar

6 slices American Cheese, cut in small pieces (can substitute grated cheese)

In a 3 quart (or larger) slow cooker, combine all ingredients.  Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or until heated through and the cheese has melted.  Stir well before serving.

12 servings

@walker,Ladies, this amount of grated cheddar would be 3/4 cup.