Trusted Contributor

Re: Few more may be coming for Thanksgiving

How about a wild rice blend mixed with sautéed cranberries and apples. It's something a bit lighter and goes great with turkey.

Small stuffed acorn squash is really good. Either with a sweeter type filling with fruits and nuts and a crumble topping or a savory one with sausage filling. 

How about something completely completely not autumnal at all like a crisp cucumber and tomato salad with a light dressing? 

Or or even a fall salad. Like a Cape Cod salad. That would be great.

Esteemed Contributor

Being from Indiana where our unofficial state food is Chicken (or Beef) & Noodles w/ Mashed Potatoes, that is always on the table at our Thanksgiving meal.  You can either cook a whole chicken and use the meat & broth for the noodles or if we've even used the turkey broth if there is plenty and add chicken broth, if needed.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Valued Contributor
Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I'd love to hear about side dishes you use.  My space is limited, although I'm thinking of ways to increase how I use what I have. But other dishes.....sure could use other ideas besides the traditional that I'll have. Potatoes, cranberry sauce, possibly ambrosia, so beyond those please.  Side dishes.

My late mom was a baker.   A home baker, she had many pie pans, cake pans and loaf pans.    Loaf pans are great for cooking and storing side dishes.   You can fit a bunch of them in the oven at one time, much better than any round dishes and they store beautifully in the refrigerator.

I know they are not pretty but if you are short on space, their size & shape makes the best use of limited space.   You can transfer to a pretty dish for serving.

Regular Contributor

I have posted this many times.  I really prefer cold veggies and am surprised that many others do too.  This is one of my favorites and several of our granddaughters' too.  This recipe was shared with me from a dear lady in Michigan. Mmm good, different and a keeper!  I always double the recipe.  

Joyce's Cold Green Beans

1 pound green beans
Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
Lettuce to line plate/platter, optional
2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
1 small onion, sliced
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
Ripe olives

Vinaigrette Recipe
1/3 cup oil, olive or vegetable
2 TBL red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 teas. Salt
Dash of pepper
Mix all dressing ingredients together and shake to combine

Directions

Cook beans uncovered in skillet or pan for 5 minutes

Cover and continue to cooking until tender (10-15 minutes)

Drain

Pour Vinaigrette over WARM beans and gently toss

Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours (or overnight)

With slotted spoon, place beans on a lettuce lined plate or platter

Arrange tomatoes along the edge of platter

Finally, scatter onions over the beans

Sprinkle dish with cheese and garnish with ripe olives

Honored Contributor

When it comes to holiday cooking and extra guests, I bring out the crock pot and even borrow another to use.    I do make ahead potatoes and reheat in crock pot.  I also fixed the following recipe one year as a side.  Taste of Home Best Church Supper Recipe Book has several good recipes.

CHEESY CREAMED CORN

3 packages (16 oz each) frozen corn

2 packages cream cheese, cubed (one 8 oz, one 3 oz....if you can find otherwise cut from 8 oz pkg)

1/4 cup butter, cubed

3 tablespoons water

3 tablespoons milk

2 tablespoons sugar

6 slices American Cheese, cut in small pieces (can substitute grated cheese)

In a 3 quart (or larger) slow cooker, combine all ingredients.  Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or until heated through and the cheese has melted.  Stir well before serving.

12 servings

Honored Contributor

TEXAS YAMS

This is a recipe from my sister's MIL who was from Texas.  We have been making it for years for Thanksgiving.  It does not have marshmallows on it so if that is what you like this is not for you!

4 med yams
1 cup sugar
dash salt
1 t cinnamon or nutmeg
3/4 stick butter
1/2 lemon sliced very thin
1 T flour
1/4 c water

Peel and cut potatoes as for thick french fries.  Place in an 8 x 12 baking dish. Cover potatoes with sugar and salt.  Sprinkle cinnamon or nutmeg (or both) over sugar.  Cover with pieces of butter.  Twist slices of lemon over this and place peel in with potatoes.  Sift flour over the top.  Add water. ÂBake at 400 degree for one hour or until done and sugar and butter have made a thick syrup.  Baste potatoes frequently.

I find this takes longer than an hour to thicken.  Tuck the lemon peel under the potatoes so it does not burn.  I make it day before - it reheats great!

Honored Contributor

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

Being from Indiana where our unofficial state food is Chicken (or Beef) & Noodles w/ Mashed Potatoes, that is always on the table at our Thanksgiving meal.  You can either cook a whole chicken and use the meat & broth for the noodles or if we've even used the turkey broth if there is plenty and add chicken broth, if needed.  

@shoptilyadropagain YUM!!!!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

If you do sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving, our teenage sons LOVED the leftovers of these sweet potatoes for breakfast!

I use this recipe on New Years Day with an herbed prok loin roast and collards.

Prepare it, sprinkle with a little water and heat in the oven covered.

Kahlua Candied Yams

Cook four med large sweet potatoes only until barely fork tender.

Meanwhile, in a large frying pan, melt

1 stick full flavor butter

1/2 C dark brown sugar

1 C kahlua

Bring to a simmer, remove skin from sweet potatoes, drop rounds about 1/3 inch into syrup.  

Simmer 20 min.

(You may add pecans or well drained pineapple tidbits, but increase syrup.)  

Reheats well.  (But you won't have any!).

Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

I'd love to hear about side dishes you use.  My space is limited, although I'm thinking of ways to increase how I use what I have. But other dishes.....sure could use other ideas besides the traditional that I'll have. Potatoes, cranberry sauce, possibly ambrosia, so beyond those please.  Side dishes.

My late mom was a baker.   A home baker, she had many pie pans, cake pans and loaf pans.    Loaf pans are great for cooking and storing side dishes.   You can fit a bunch of them in the oven at one time, much better than any round dishes and they store beautifully in the refrigerator.

I know they are not pretty but if you are short on space, their size & shape makes the best use of limited space.   You can transfer to a pretty dish for serving.

Great tip software.