Respected Contributor

What is your favorite summer vegetable and how do you prepare it?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Favorite summer vegetable

I am absolutely nuts over big ripe tomatoes!

From a warm tomato eaten in a garden in the sunlight to a tomato sandwich on toasted bread with mayo, salt, and pepper.

The same tomato can be stuffed with chicken salad or cottage cheese.

I love cucumber sandwiches as well!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

The poor misunderstood Tomato, who is really a Fruit.

Nevertheless, I love them, right off the vine!

🍅🍅🍅 num num!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Green peppers.

Respected Contributor

@Boomernichols wrote:

What is your favorite summer vegetable and how do you prepare it?

@Boomernichols  Like it has been mentioned, while the humble tomato is really a fruit it is usually used as a vegetable.  I love it cored out and stuffed with tuna.  Also love a fresh caprese salad.  🍅

🎵 You say tomato, I say tomahto 🎵

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

Zucchini!

I usually fry it with butter, oil (so it doesn't burn) and worcester sauce or not, til its almost burnt (but not)!

I also like it just boiled.

Or broiled.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

I am addicted to the small mini peppers that I cut in half, clean out the seeds/veins.  I then spread the onion/chive philly cream cheese spread on the peppers.  Then I sprinkle bagel seasoning which has sesame seeds, black sesame seeds, minced garlic & onion...pure heaven!!

Honored Contributor

Tomato would be # 1, but I really like summer squash sliced and sautéed with onion and garlic with fresh basil. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Boomernichols   Eating fresh ears of corn, lightly cooked and slathered with butter says summer to me.  If there happened to be  a real New England Clam Bake involved with the corn that would be even better!

Favorite dessert to go with it would be watermelon or New England style strawberry shortcake which is fresh strawberries in their own syrup on biscuits topped with freshly whipped cream.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Esteemed Contributor

My first thought was sweet corn grown in local gardens or farms, and served with pure butter, salt and pepper. I changed my mind to the wonderful homegrown, fresh tomato (it'll always be a veggie in my mind!). Room temperature with just salt and pepper, sliced with onions and fresh cucumbers with a drizzle of Italian dressing, as a base for cottage cheese or chicken salad, diced in a big salad....so many ways to enjoy that sweet, fresh taste!

I have a cherry tomato plant with tiny little tomatoes in a big pot on my patio. Can't wait to enjoy them in another month or so!