Respected Contributor

Re: Favorite coleslaw dressing - on the sweet side?

@KingstonsMom wrote:

Another fan of KFC coleslaw here, so I use their recipe (for 8 cups cabbage. 1 medium shredded carrot & 2 Tbs. minced onion):

1/3 cup sugar

1/2 tsp. salt (or to taste)

1/2 tsp. pepper (or to taste)

1/4 cup milk

1/4 cup buttermilk

1/2 cup mayo

1 & 1/2 Tbs. white vinegar

2 & 1/2 Tbs. lemon juice

Combine all in bowl, beat (I use a whisk) till smooth.

Add to cabbage, carrot & onion, mix well.

Cover & refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.

I also use this recipe.  I use one and another half of premade packaged coleslaw.

Let it set for a while in the fridge so flavors meld.

Contributor

If you like it on the sweet side, add pineapple juice. The juice adds sweetness and helps breakdown the sugar as well.

Honored Contributor

I keep mine simple with mayo, sugar, celery seed and vinegar.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I searched high and low for a sweet cole slaw dressing and finally came across this one a few yeas ago.  My search ended and this is now my go to.  I love it.  

1 can, Sweetened Condensed Milk (store brand is fine)
1/2 c. White Vinegar  (DO NOT USE APPLE CIDER VINEGAR)
1/2 c. Vegetable oil
1 tsp. dry Mustard
1/2 tsp. Salt
dash of Cayenne Pepper or Frank’s Red Hot
1 Egg

In small mixing bowl, combine all ingredients; beat until mixture thickens, about 2 minutes. Mix with a large (2 lbs.) bag of cole slaw mix.  Keep refrigerated.

Honored Contributor

I admit that most of the time I take the easy route and mix some coleslaw mix with Jimmy's Coleslaw Dressing.  It is sold by the jar in the refrigerated case in my grocer's produce department.

Valued Contributor

I love Marzetti's cole slaw dressing, bought in the produce department.

Valued Contributor

To mayo dressing based coleslaw, I sometimes add golden raisins and chopped cashews.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Frequent Contributor

My favorite coleslaw recipe is Trisha Yearwood's bleu cheese coleslaw.  You can find the recipe on Food Network.  Delicious!

Honored Contributor

Just wanted to say thanks to @GingerPeach  for starting this thread and to all that have posted such yummy recipes.  There are so many I would like to try, thanks everybody!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach 

I don't know what part of the country you're in, but around Atlanta there are a couple of barbecue and catfish places that serve the only kind of coleslaw I've ever liked.  It's chipped up very fine -- not shredded -- and has a very sweet dressing.  It doesn't have that bitter "cabbage" taste that spoils most coleslaw for me. 

Much to my amazement, a lady in our church makes it for church cookouts, although it's not exactly a recipe.  She puts the chunks of raw cabbage into a food processor and pulses until the cabbage is chopped fine.  Then she dumps it into a big pan and adds Blue Plate Mayonnaise (she says it MUST be Blue Plate) and sugar.  She just keeps adding mayo until it's "wet" enough and sugar until it's "sweet" enough. That's IT.

Iced Tea and Coleslaw -- Southerners want them both sweet enough to make your teeth ache!