Honored Contributor

Re: Favorite Pineapple Casserole For Easter?

All of these look so good.  Since I have dessert that has fruit for Easter, I'll do one of these with grilled chicken.

Respected Contributor

@Etoile308 wrote:

Never heard of a pineapple casserole, but I'm intrigued. Think I'll make a practice one this week, but try it with fresh pineapple.

@Etoile308 You may not want to use fresh. The canned crushed pineapple works best. You want the pineapple to be a fine texture and with fresh it would be hard to do.

Esteemed Contributor

Somebody brought one to an office Christmas Dinner years ago.  I loved it but never bothered getting the recipe because I know I'd be the only one to eat it at a family holiday dinner.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Valued Contributor

Contributor

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/scalloped-pineapple-casserole

Taste of Home Logo
Exps632 Cs143580d09 23 6b 2

Scalloped Pineapple Casserole

TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.YIELD: 6 servings.
My family can't get enough of this sweet and satisfying side dish. This casserole disappears quickly whenever I prepare it.—Judy Howle, Columbus, Mississippi

Ingredients

• 3/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1-1/4 cups sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, well drained
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 4 cups firmly packed cubed white bread (crusts removed)

Directions

• 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in pineapple and lemon juice. Gently fold in bread cubes.
  • 2. Spoon into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, 40 to 45 minutes or until top is lightly golden. Serve warm.

Respected Contributor

Jill Bauer has the recipe for Pineapple Bake on her Just Jill site. I have not tried this. I like fresh pineapple or mixed with other fresh fruit.

Ingredients

• 1 cup butter
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 8 eggs
  • 10 slices white bread, cubed
  • 2 (20 oz) cans crushed pineapple, with juice

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
  2. Lightly butter an 9″ x 13″ or 3-qt casserole dish.
  3. Cream the butter and sugar together by hand or with a stand mixer. Add the eggs in one at a time. Use a spatula to fold in the bread and pineapple (plus the juice). Stir the mixture gently until just incorporated and then pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
  4. Bake for 1 hour until it is light brown and bubbly.
  5. Let the casserole cool for about 20 minutes before serving.

Pineapple bake

Pineapple Bake

Honored Contributor

Sounds like some good recipes here as I can't remember how my friend made it.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Favorite Pineapple Casserole For Easter? UPDATED!

OK. I worked with all your suggestions and here's what I came up with:

Pineapple Casserole

½ cup unsalted butter, softened

½ cup granulated sugar

¼ teaspoon kosher salt

4 eggs, large

20 ounces crushed pineapple in its own juice

6 oz. croissants – cut into 1 inch pieces

4 oz. grated sharp cheddar cheese (Cabot Extra Sharp Vermont Cheddar)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly butter a 1.5-quart baking dish. (I used a 2 qt.)
  2. Place the butter, sugar, and salt in a large bowl and cream together with an electric mixer until very pale and fluffy (about 3 to 5 minutes on high speed).
  3. Whip in the eggs, one at a time, allowing each one to fully incorporate before adding the next.
  4. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl with a silicone spatula, and fold in the pineapple and its juice.
  5. Cut the croissants into 1-inch pieces and fold it into the pineapple mixture.
  6. Add the shredded cheddar and stir
  7. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and bake for 1 hour, or until bubbly and beginning to turn golden. (Mine was done in 45 to 50 minutes)

Serve warm.

DH thought it was a bit "buttery." So, next time I'll cut back on the butter. I think it was due to the croissants. He also suggested I increase this cheese just a bit.