Honored Contributor

Re: Fast, Easy Corn On The Cob

Food for thought:  Should you find a worm, it means the corn has fewer pesticides on it.

Worms are almost always at the tip of the corn.  Peel back the husks a little and see if there is a worm there or if the corn has been eaten there.  I never buy corn without looking at the tip first by peeling back the husks a little.  I open it up and peek in.  I want to be sure the kernals are plump and matured but not old, and that the corn is fully developed and a good ear.  I do this for each piece I buy.

Respected Contributor

I started doing this last year and I have to say it is the best corn on the cob we have ever had.  No more hot water boiling!  It is easy and tastes yummy.  The husks and silks really come off very easily but as you mentioned you must wear oven mitts.  The corn gets very hot.  Love it!

Trusted Contributor

I wet the paper towel and cook in husk for 3 min.

Honored Contributor

My favorite method is roasted on an open fire (in the husks). I believe they need to be soaked first, I've never done it myself but I love to eat it when someone else does!

Super Contributor

My favorite way to cook c.o.t.c, is to rip off the husk and silky threads, rinse in cold water, wrap in wax paper, then nuke in the microwave for maybe a max of 5 minutes per cob. I don't know where I learned this, but it works for us. We still boil cobs, too. Never tried nuking corn while it's still in the husks.
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Food for thought:  Should you find a worm, it means the corn has fewer pesticides on it.

Worms are almost always at the tip of the corn.  Peel back the husks a little and see if there is a worm there or if the corn has been eaten there.  I never buy corn without looking at the tip first by peeling back the husks a little.  I open it up and peek in.  I want to be sure the kernals are plump and matured but not old, and that the corn is fully developed and a good ear.  I do this for each piece I buy.

@Sooner I really appreciate this information as we are finally getting locally grown, organic corn in this area so I'll be sure to use these tips when selecting my corn.

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner I really appreciate this information as we are finally getting locally grown, organic corn in this area so I'll be sure to use these tips when selecting my corn.

Thanks.  Oh, and really big dry kernals might be not so good because it is old.  But after you look at ears a while you'll know exactly what you are looking for.  

And remember, a tiny worm who hasn't eaten much isn't really a terrible thing because if the worms won't eat it, maybe we shouldn't either!  LOL!!!  

Respected Contributor

Besides for actually looking at the kernels, I choose corn by judging the silks. I reject green silk, which signifies corn that was picked too soon, and dry silk, of course, shows the corn has been sitting around a while.  What I look for, then, besides for plump kernels is moist, dark silks in good quantity.

I have been 'nuking' corn since I saw this video about it on You Tube. Husking is a mess-free breeze, and the corn is good.  Near the end of the season, I 'nuke' it, cut the kernels off the cob and freeze it in 2 or 3 ear packages.  It's like eating fresh corn all through the winter.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.