Respected Contributor

Family Circle Recipe Brownies/Twix Bars

So in the latest issue of Family Circle there's a recipe for home made brownies engulfed with Twix bars...sounds wonderful doesn't it?

Don't make them, they are more like a cake like brownie and there's really no flavor.

Used all good ingrediants and even Penzey dark rich cocoa....they went in the trash, couldn't get over the dry cake like texture.

There's even a drizzle of caramel and more twix bars...yes, sounds just wonderful...not good.

Respected Contributor

Re: Family Circle Recipe Brownies/Twix Bars

@Just Bling

It is SO disappointing when you put time, effort, and money into a recipe that looks perfect! 

I made the Brazilian truffles (during the Olympics) and they would not set up at all.  Like you, I used the best and finest of ingredients (brandname sweetened condensed milk and organic cocoa powder).  It made me feel like a failure until a friend of mine said she saw it posted on Facebook that everyone had the same issue.  Then, during my closing ceremony barbecue, we looked up the reviews on food dot com and sure enough, the same exact issue!

My mother used to say that sometimes people intentionally leave out an ingredient to make sure your recipe isn't as good as theirs.  My recipe came from my Costco magazine, so I don't think that was the case. 

Honored Contributor

I hate that when you spend the time & money for it not to turn out.

My sister makes brownies & pours half the mix in the pan & lays Symphony candy bars on top than pours on the rest of the brownie mix. It's good but a little much for me. I rather just eat one or the other.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Just Bling  I grimaced when I read you threw out the disappointing brownies.  What a waste of your effort and ingredients!   If such a letdown happens to you again--and I sincerely hope it doesn't--do not throw it out. Instead, try to find a way to improve or use the dish some other way.

In the brownie case, you could have cubed and used them in a trifle, added ice cream for ice cream sandwiches, crumbled them for a brownie pie crust, etc.  Who knows?  You might have created a new family favorite.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

So in the latest issue of Family Circle there's a recipe for home made brownies engulfed with Twix bars...sounds wonderful doesn't it?

Don't make them, they are more like a cake like brownie and there's really no flavor.

Used all good ingrediants and even Penzey dark rich cocoa....they went in the trash, couldn't get over the dry cake like texture.

There's even a drizzle of caramel and more twix bars...yes, sounds just wonderful...not good.

I have learned not to make any recipe from Womans Day or Family Circle no matter how good they look, I'm always disappointed with the outcome. Honestly, I don't think they bother to test them before they print them.

Respected Contributor

IamMrsG:

Sometime you just have to cut your losses, I added a scoop of ice cream, added some chopped salty peanuts on top, tried to transform what I made and overall, it wasn't worth keeping.

The caramel on top just made it "wet" didn't add any moisture and they were just not good.

So unfortunate.

Trusted Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

IamMrsG:

Sometime you just have to cut your losses, I added a scoop of ice cream, added some chopped salty peanuts on top, tried to transform what I made and overall, it wasn't worth keeping.

The caramel on top just made it "wet" didn't add any moisture and they were just not good.

So unfortunate.

I'm sorry that happened, @Just BlingSmiley Sad

That's a real bummer.

I don't like wasting ingredients, either, or throwing anything away that I put so much effort into, but sometimes I think that it can't be helped. Especially if it doesn't taste good in the end, and you/your family just don't like eating it. 

I know that I don't want to have to force myself to eat anything that I made if it doesn't taste good. 

Respected Contributor

@Just Bling, I know exacgtly how you feel. Awhile back I made a recipe for brownies that had a layer of caramel, & was topped w/ salted pretzels. I dumped them in the trash too!

Muddling through...