Honored Contributor

Re: FEBRUARY RECIPE EXCHANGE GAME

Charred Broccolini With Garlic-Caper Sauce Recipe

Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes Level of Difficulty: Easy Serving Size: 2 servings

Ingredients
1 tablespoon canola
2 garlic cloves, sliced paper thin
2 teaspoon salt-packed capers, rinsed
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 1/2 pounds broccolini, ends trimmed
pinch of kosher salt

Directions

Heat the oil in a large frying pan over high heat until wisps come off the surface. Add the garlic, capers and red pepper flakes and cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Immediately add the butter and cook until melted and slightly browned.

Add the broccolini and a pinch of kosher salt and toss to coat.
Cover the pan and cook, shaking the pan every 30 seconds so nothing sticks, until the broccolini is charred and knife-tender, 5 to 7 minutes.

Carefully remove the cover and add enough water to just coat the bottom of the pan. Shake the pan around to coat the broccolini and serve immediately.

NEXT INGREDIENT: CAULIFLOWER 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Cauliflower au Gratin 

4 cups cut up cauliflower

4 tsp of butter or margarine

2 cloves of garlic,minced

2 Tbsp. all purpose flour

1/2 tsp. Salt Pepper to taste (or a dash of cayenne pepper)

2 cups of "Evaporated" skiim milk

4 ounces (1 cup) shredded low fat sharp cheddar cheese 

2 Tbsp. chopped parsley- optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

In a steamer or microwave,cook the cauliflower until tender. Drain any moisture and set aside.

In a large deep saucepan melt butter and garlic and sauté 1 minute. Stir in the flour,salt, and pepper. Mix until creamy.

Gradually add milk,stirring constantly,until the sauce boils and thickens. Adjust seasonings if needed.

Stir in 3/4 of the cheese and parsley 

Arrange cauliflower in a shallow baking dish and cover with the sauce. Sprinkle remaining cheese in top.

Bake until top is lightly browned and bubbling- about 30 minutes. Makes 4 large servings.

The original recipe calls for 1 cup of frozen kernel corn cooked and drained but I do not put it in mine. I bake mine until more browned on top and more cheese on top as I am not worried about the calories but enjoying it more.

This is a Richard Simmons recipe I have made for years from Deal-a-Meal

Golden Edition cookbook. I just made this yesterday and it is one of my favorite recipes. I make about once a month. My husband doesn't like many vegetables so it is more for me.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Smiley Happy

Next ingredient- Spinach

Honored Contributor

This may be a repeat but is one of my favorite Spinach Salads next to original one with egg, bacon, etc.  Great for lunch.

SPINACH Salad with Pasta

2 cups penne noodles, cooked and drained

3 cups fresh SPINACH, torn

1 cup cooked chicken, cut into strips (can be omitted)

1 cup sliced strawberries

1/2 cup sliced red onion

1/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

1/2 cup bottled Balsamic Viniagrette Salad Dressing

Cook pasta, drain, rinse with cold water and drain again.  Place SPINACH in bowl and add pasta.  Toss lightly to combine.  Add rest of the ingredients except dressing and mix gently.  When ready to serve, drizzle with dressing.  Toss lightly to coat.

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... PECANS

Honored Contributor

I copied this from Recipe Swap in July of 2013.  It is so easy!  Thank you original poster!

Slow Cooker Apple Chicken With Pecans

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves

1/8 teaspoon pepper or to taste

1/2 teaspoon salt...or to taste

3/4 onion...sliced

2 Granny Smith apples...peeled, cored and sliced

1/4 cup chicken broth

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 1/2 tablespoons butter...melted

1 cup whole pecans...toasted

Hot cooked rice

Sprinkle the chicken with thyme, pepper and salt. Place onion slices in the bottom of slow cooker.

Top with chicken and apples.

In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients EXCEPT for the pecans. Mix well.

Pour into slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 5-6 hours or til chicken is thoroughly cooked and apples are tender.

Stir in pecans and serve over hot cooked rice.

NEXT INGREDIENT:

WORCHESTERSHIRE SAUCE

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Shepherd’s Pie

Author: Adapted from Danny Boome  Serves: 4-6

Ingredients

For the filling:

• ½ Tbsp. butter
  • ½ Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1 carrot, peeled and diced
  • 2 stalks celery, diced
  • 1-2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
  • 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
  • 1 lb. ground beef or lamb
  • 1½ Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • ¼ cup beef broth
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen peas

For the Mashed Potatoes

• 2 lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • ¼ cup milk or cream
  • ¾ cup grated sharp white Cheddar cheese
  • salt and pepper

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 400*
  2. Add the butter and olive oil to a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Saute the onions, carrots, celery and garlic until just tender, about 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Once the veggies have browned just a bit, stir in the tomato paste and mix thouroughly. Add the ground meat and cook until meat is no longer pink, 7-10 minutes. Spoon off as much grease from the meat mixture as you can. Add the Worcestershire sauce and beef broth. Simmer, over low heat, for 5 minutes. Mix in the peas. Transfer mixture to an 8x8 baking dish.
  3. Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water and a tablespoon of salt. Bring the pot of potatoes to a boil and cook until soft, about 20 minutes. Drain the potatoes well and place them back into the pan. Mash the potatoes with the milk/cream and butter. Stir in the grated cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper.
  4. Spread mashed potatoes over the top of the beef mixture, spreading out evenly and from edge to edge. Rake through the potatoes with a fork to create peaks. Place the dish into the preheated oven and bake until browned, about 20 minutes. Spoon out the pie and serve. Serves 4-6.

Next ingredient:  Pork

Honored Contributor

Swedish Meatballs (Byerly's)

Makes 5 dozen

1 cup minced onion

1 tablespoon butter

2.5 pounds meat loaf mixture, ground beef, pork, and veal

1 cup fresh bread crumbs

3 Eggs, slightly beaten

1 1/2 cups half-and-half

2 teaspoons salt

1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed

1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom

3 tablespoons butter

1/3 cup Flour

2 cans beef broth, 10.5oz

1 cup whipping cream

In small skillet, cook onion in 1 tablespoon butter until soft.

In large bowl, combine onion with first10 ingredients. (Mixture is very soft). Shape into 1 1/2-inch balls; arrange on jelly-roll pan lightly sprayed with PAM. Bake in a preheated 400 F oven until cooked through and lightly browned (14-16 minutes).

Melt 3 tablespoons butter in large skillet; stir in flour. Gradually whisk in beef broth. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Stir in whipping cream and 1/2 teaspoon dill weed; simmer 5 minutes. (Have gravy finished when meatballs come out of oven.)

Scrape meatballs and browned bits into gravy; stir to combine. Spoon into 3-quart casserole. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.

Reheat in a preheated 325 F oven until heated through (40-50 minutes).

Next ingredient:  garlic

Regular Contributor

Cheese Ball

1 lb. cream cheese, softened
1 lb. sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
dash of cayenne pepper
1 cup chopped pecans
chili powder

Bring the first two ingredients to room temperature. Combine all ingredients, except chili powder, and mix well. Shape and refrigerate overnight or for a couple of days. When ready to serve, coat the mixture thoroughly with chili powder.

Next Ingredient:  Cream of chicken soup

Honored Contributor

KING RANCH CHICKEN 

Ingredients
1 (3 pound) chicken, boiled and deboned (I use rotesserie)
1 (14.5 ounce) package tortilla chips
1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 onion, chopped
3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C.)
Layer the chips in a 9x13 inch casserole dish.
Combine the tomatoes, chicken soup, mushroom soup and onion. Pour half of mixture over chips. Layer the chicken pieces, half of the cheese and the remaining soup mixture.
Bake at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) for 20 minutes. Top with the remaining cheese and return to the oven until the cheese is melted.

This is really good with Mexican corn bread. 

NEXT INGREDIENT: HERBES DE PROVENCE

New Contributor

Chicken with Bacon and White Wine                           sauce   
  • 3 slices bacon

• ½ cup flour 

Salt, to taste

•  Pepper, to taste

• 2 teaspoon herbes de Provence

• 1½ to 2 pounds chicken thighs with skin

• 1 to 2tablespoons olive oil

• 2shallots, thinly sliced

• ½ cup dry white wine

• 1 cup chicken stock 

Dried or fresh parsley for topping

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bacon: Heat a large ovenproof Dutch oven over medium high heat. Cut the bacon into small pieces and fry for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside, leaving the hot bacon grease in the pan (turn down the heat while prepping the chicken). Chicken: Mix the flour with salt and pepper and the herbes de Provence. Dredge each piece of chicken in the flour mixture and transfer to the hot pan. Pan-fry the chicken for a few minutes on each side, until golden brown (but not cooked through). Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside on plate. Shallots: Add the shallots to the hot pan with the olive oil. Sauté for 5-10 minutes, until softened and fragrant. Add the wine slowly, stirring to get all the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the chicken stock and let everything cook until it reduces slightly, about 5-10 minutes. Bake: Add the chicken and bacon back to the pan and bake for 40 minutes, stopping every 10 or 15 minutes to baste the chicken with the pan sauce. Remove from oven when the chicken skin is crispy and the chicken is fully cooked. Skim the oil off the top of the sauce if you want and serve with bread to soak it all up.

Next Ingredient----- Dark Chocolate

Honored Contributor

@LoLaposted this back in 8/2013.  Thanks, LoLa!  Hope you don't mind me re-posting!

Dark Chocolate Toffee Brownie Brittle

(recipe source: HeathersFrenchPress)

This is really amazing! I can't believe that I didn't know about Brownie Brittle. A friend of mine made them recently for a get-together and we could NOT stop eating them! It's THAT good!

Ingredients

• 1/2 AP flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg white
  • 3/4 cup of sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 TBSP cocoa powder
  • 1 cup of chopped dark chocolate {or chocolate chips} I used a combination of 70% and 75% cocoa
  • 1/4 cup of butter
  • 1/2 cup of heath toffee bits

Instructions

• combine the flour, salt, baking soda, and cocoa powder {set aside}
  • in a small saucepan melt the butter and chocolate {let cool slightly}
  • beat the egg, egg white, and sugar until frothy
  • add the vanilla, and the melted chocolate
  • slowly add in the flour
  • stir just until all of the ingredients are incorporated
  • line a jelly roll pan with parchment
  • spread the brownie batter to cover the entire bottom of the pan {a very thin layer}
  • sprinkle on the toffee bits
  • bake at 325 for 20 minutes
  • remove from the oven and cut {I recommend using a pizza cutter }but do not separate the pieces
  • return to the oven and bake an additional 5 minutes
  • cool completely and break into pieces

Next Ingredient:

FETA