Respected Contributor

Re: FEBRUARY 2018 RECIPE GAME

@momtochloe You always put thought and time into your posts. I am always impressed, especially with the pictures, not to take away from the recipes. I have always seen your pics! I would never have known there was a problem, if you didn't bring that fact to our attention.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

BOURSIN Cheese Quiche

1 prepared pie crust or make your own

1 cup shredded Swiss Cheese

1/4 cup chopped green onions

1/4 cup chopped ripe olives

1 small tomato, seeded and diced

3 eggs

1/2 cup whipping cream

1 (5 oz) pkg. BOURSIN spice cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Place pie crust in quiche or pie pan.  

Sprinkle 3/4 cup Swiss cheese on bottom of pie crust.  Sprinkle green onions, olives and tomato over Swiss cheese.  Mix together eggs, whipping cream and BOURSIN cheese; pour over the above. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Swiss cheese.  Bake on bottom shelf of oven for 35 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.  Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

NEXT INGREDIENT ...... CHOCOLATE or BUTTERSCOTCH CHIPS

Respected Contributor

Vegan Larabars or Laraballs

1/2 cup almonds, 1/2 cup walnuts, 1 1-4 cups packed dates or prunes or packaged plums (Costco), 3 tbsp cocoa, 1 tsp instant coffee, 1 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 cup CHOCOLATE CHIPS, Optional : Add 1/2 cup grated carrots or apples.

In a food processor, process both nuts. Add the dates and process to blend well. Add cocoa, instant coffee, vanilla, cinnamon and CHOCOLATE CHIPS. Blend well. It should form a ball or at least be moldable. Form into bars or balls. Refrigerate for a few hours.

Next Ingredient : HORSERADISH 

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Valued Contributor

JEZEBEL   (Bob Bowersox recipe)

1 - 18oz. jar apple jelly

1 - 18oz jar pineapple preserves

5 ounces horseradish (creamed or sauce)

1 t. freshly ground pepper

3 t. dry mustard

1 - 8oz. cream cheese

Mix first 5 ingredients & let stand 1 hour.  Can be stored in refrigerator until needed.

Place cream cheese on plate, pour sauce on top.  Serve with crackers.

Can be used as spread on toast, sandwiches, or as glaze for chicken or steak.

Next Ingredient:  Pork Loin

Honored Contributor

pork loin.jpeg

@Blk&GoldFan

I'm so glad you mentioned the pork loin - now I know what I'm cooking tomorrow!  I haven't tried this recipe yet, but I can't imagine how it could be anything but yummy.  I think the detailed recipe makes it sound more complicated than it needs to be.  JMO

JUICY PORK LOIN

Ingredients

For the pork loin:
1 (3- to 4-pound) boneless pork loin roast
4 cloves garlic
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tart-sweet medium apples, such as Honeycrisp or Pink Lady, quartered
1 large onion, cut into eighths
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2 fresh rosemary sprigs
2 fresh sage sprigs
1/4 cup maple syrup

For the green apple sauce:
1 medium Granny Smith apple, cored and quartered
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 small garlic clove, grated
3/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh mint leaves
3/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh sage leaves
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup olive oil

Instructions

1. Heat the oven. Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 400°F.
  2. Make garlic paste. Cut off the stem end of the garlic cloves. Coarsely chop the garlic, then sprinkle with the salt. Hold the blunt side of the knife with both hands, angle the knife slightly, and scrape the pile of garlic and salt to flatten. Use the knife to create a small garlic and salt pile, then press and scrape again. Repeat this process a few more times until you have a smooth paste. Sprinkle the pepper over the paste.
  3. Trim the silverskin from the pork loin and rub with garlic paste. Trim the silverskin off of the pork loin, but leave the fat cap intact. Rub the garlic paste evenly over all sides of the pork loin. Set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes or refrigerate for up to 1 day.
  4. Brown the pork loin on all sides. Heat the oil in a 10- to 12-inch cast iron pan or stainless steel straight-sided skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the pork and sear on all sides until it's deep golden-brown and easily releases from the pan, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Once all 4 sides have browned, transfer the pork loin to a plate.
  5. Add the butter, onion, apples, and herbs to the pan. Turn off the heat, but keep the skillet on the stove. Scatter the apples, onion, butter, rosemary, and sage around the pan. Drizzle with the maple syrup.
  6. Return the pork loin and any juices to the pan. Nestle the browned pork loin on top of the onion, apples, and herbs, and pour in any accumulated juices from the plate.
  7. Roast the pork loin for 1 hour. Roast the pork loin until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the pork reads 145°F, about 1 hour. Meanwhile, make the green apple sauce.
  8. Make the green apple sauce while the pork roasts. Place the Granny Smith apple, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, mint, sage, parsley, rosemary, and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the blade attachment. Pulse until finely chopped, 12 to 14 pulses, scraping down the sides of the bowl when necessary. Drizzle in the olive oil and pulse again until incorporated.
  9. Rest the pork loin for 20 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and transfer the pork to a clean cutting board. Let the pork loin rest for 20 minutes.
  10. Slice the pork loin and serve with onion, apples, pan sauce, and green apple sauce. Slice the pork loin crosswise into 3/4-inch-thick slices. Serve the sliced pork with the onion and apple pieces. Drizzle with some of the pan drippings and the green apple sauce.

Recipe Notes

• Make ahead: Rub the pork loin with the garlic paste up to 1 day in advance and refrigerate. Remove from the refrigerator while heating the oven. The green apple sauce can be made 2 days in advance and refrigerated in an airtight container. Stir the sauce before serving.
  • Storage: Refrigerate leftover pork in an airtight container for up to 4 days. The green apple sauce can be refrigerated for up to 4 days.

Next ingredient:  frozen spinach

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I have had this recipe for a long time.  It makes a lot!  Great for a Super Bowl party or anytime!

SPINACH Cracker Spread

1 (10 oz) pkg. FROZEN CHOPPED SPINACH, thawed and 

Drain Well!

1 pkg. Knorr Vegetable Soup Mix

1 bunch of green onions, chopped (all)

1 can water chestnuts, chopped (or buy diced)

1 cup sour cream

1 cup mayonnaise

Mix together the sour cream, mayonnaise and Knorr Vegetable Soup Mix.  Pour over and combine with the SPINACH, green onions and water chestnuts.  Mix well together and refrigerate.

Serve with favorite crackers.

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... GRATED CHEESE, any kind

Valued Contributor

Who knew Parmesan could melt into a pretty, lacy chip?  I love these served with soup, on top of salads or just served stacked on a plate.  

Parmesan Chips

INGREDIENTS
1⁄2 cup Grated Parmesan chips
baking sheet, with silpat or parchment

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Line the baking sheet with the silpat (preferred) or parchment.
Place a heaping tablespoon of Parmesan on the lined baking sheet and lightly pat it down to make about a 2-inch circle.
Repeat with the remaining Parmesan, placing the spoonfuls about 1 inch apart.
Bake at 400 degrees F for 3 to 5 minutes until golden and crisp.
Allow to cool on the baking sheet before removing carefully with a spatula for serving.

next ingredient:  avocado

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

@walker

omgosh, that looks so good and I have all the ingredients on hand!

Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

This recipe is from Clean Eating Magazine.  I love this recipe.  It's definitely a different way to use avocados.  I make them as mini-muffins.

Depending on the color of your avocados, they will have a green tint to them.  I believe if you use Florida avocados, they are a little lighter and won't make these as green.

Avocado.jpg

Next Ingredient:  Bananas

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

Homemade Strawberry Sorbet  (serves 1) Can be doubled!
1 frozen banana
1/2 cup frozen strawberries
1/2 cup skim milk
1 tbsp sweetener of your choice (sugar, Stevia, Splenda)

1.Throw the banana, strawberries, milk and sweetener into your Ninja blender.

Pulse and puree until smooth.

You can adjust the amount of milk you use to make the final consistency thinner or thicker.

Scoop out the sorbet and serve!

Next ingredient:  Sauerkraut